Discover the Distance from College to Park with Speed and Time Calculations

• Thread starter baywatch123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed Time
In summary: The walker's path is the function which would give the answer to the question of "how far is the park from the college?" while the bicyclist's path would give the answer to the question of "how long did it take Steve to reach the park?"
baywatch123

Homework Statement

Mac walked to a park from the college at 5 km/h. 10 minutes later, Steve started riding his bike at 15 km/h to the same park to meet Mac. They arrive at the same time at the park. How far is the park from the college?

Homework Equations

Rate = D/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I know Steve is traveling 10km/h faster than Mac. I also found the km traveled by Mac which was (5/6)km. and then found the time at which steve took to reach (5/6)km... but i have a feeling this is totally wrong

please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
baywatch123 said:

Homework Statement

Mac walked to a park from the college at 5 km/h. 10 minutes later, Steve started riding his bike at 15 km/h to the same park to meet Mac. They arrive at the same time at the park. How far is the park from the college?

Homework Equations

Rate = D/t

I know Steve is traveling 10km/h faster than Mac. I also found the km traveled by Mac which was (5/6)km. and then found the time at which steve took to reach (5/6)km... but i have a feeling this is totally wrong

please help?

You need to show your work, so that we can tell where you went wrong.

Steve and Mike are covering the same distance, with distance as rate * time. Write expressions for the amount of time each guy is travelling. The distance you came up with, 5/6 km, is wrong.

baywatch123 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Rate = D/t

please help?
No, it is not wrong, but you have to explain what you mean.

Mac is at distance of 5/6 km away when Steve starts. With respect to Mac, Steve had to cover 5/6 km with speed 10 km/h. You use a frame of reference fixed to Max. In that frame of reference, Max does not move, and Steve moves with 10 km/h.

Go ahead!

ehild

Mark44 said:
Steve and Mike are covering the same distance, with distance as rate * time. Write expressions for the amount of time each guy is travelling. The distance you came up with, 5/6 km, is wrong.

The original post does not state that Steve and Mike started at the same place. Thus, we cannot assume that they are the same distance from the park in their travels.

thelema418 said:
The original post does not state that Steve and Mike started at the same place. Thus, we cannot assume that they are the same distance from the park in their travels.

That makes the problem un-doable. I would guess they are supposed to be starting from the same point, whose distance to the park is sought.

Ray Vickson said:
That makes the problem un-doable. I would guess they are supposed to be starting from the same point, whose distance to the park is sought.

The solution of the park's "distance" from the college could be expressed as a function depending on the biker's distance. You would just have to stop there, or show a graph of possible and reasonable solutions. The solution would be "distance" according to the walker's path.

Even if you assume that the walker and the bicyclist started at the same location, the problem as stated does not indicate that they took the same path.

1. How do you calculate speed?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is speed = distance / time.

2. What is the distance between the college and the park?

The distance between the college and the park can be measured using a map or a GPS device. Alternatively, you can also calculate the distance by physically measuring the distance using a measuring tool.

3. How long does it take to travel from the college to the park?

The time it takes to travel from the college to the park depends on the speed at which you are traveling. It can also be affected by factors such as traffic and weather conditions. To calculate the time, divide the distance by the speed.

4. What units are used for distance and speed?

Distance is typically measured in units such as kilometers (km) or miles (mi), while speed is measured in units like kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mi/h). It is important to ensure that the units for distance and speed are consistent when calculating.

5. Can you provide an example of using speed and time calculations?

Sure! Let's say the distance between the college and the park is 10 kilometers and you are traveling at a speed of 50 km/h. To calculate the time it would take to travel from the college to the park, we use the formula time = distance / speed. Plugging in the values, we get time = 10 km / 50 km/h = 0.2 hours or 12 minutes. Therefore, it would take 12 minutes to travel from the college to the park at a speed of 50 km/h.