Distance traveled by a rubber band powered car

In summary, the problem at hand is finding the distance traveled by a rubber band powered car. Although the formula F*d=(k*x^2)/2 can be used to calculate the distance, it may not accurately represent the actual distance due to the non-linear force exerted by the rubber band and the energy lost to friction. One possible solution is to estimate the distance based on the number of times the rubber band is wound around the axle and the circumference of the wheel, assuming no slipping and immediate stoppage of the car.
Joellll
okay guys I've been looking for ages and i just can't find anything that will help me with finding a distance that will be travel by a rubber band powered car. I've been playing around with kinetic energy= potential energy but i can't seem to get anywhere. Any help will be greatly appreciated

I found that F*d=(k*x^2)/2 so i can solve for a distance there but would that only give me the distance if i flicked the rubber band not if that band was powering the car.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that a rubber band is not hookian -- it does not exert force linearly based on the distance it's stretched. Another problem is that, assuming the car goes along a horizontal, all of the energy of the rubber band goes to kinetic, and everything ends up as friction.

I suppose you could cheat a little, and say that the number of revolutions you wound it up multiplied by the circumference of the wheel would be the distance it goes. As long as the wheels don't slip and the car stops immediately after the rubber band is completely unstretched, this would be a decent estimate.

1. How does the distance traveled by a rubber band powered car compare to other methods of propulsion?

The distance traveled by a rubber band powered car can vary depending on the size and strength of the rubber band, as well as the design of the car. However, it is generally considered to be less efficient than other methods of propulsion such as electric motors or gasoline engines.

2. What factors affect the distance traveled by a rubber band powered car?

The distance traveled by a rubber band powered car can be affected by various factors such as the length and thickness of the rubber band, the weight and design of the car, the surface it is traveling on, and any external forces like wind or friction.

3. Can the distance traveled by a rubber band powered car be increased?

Yes, the distance traveled by a rubber band powered car can be increased by using a stronger and longer rubber band, reducing the weight of the car, and improving the design to minimize friction and maximize the transfer of energy from the rubber band to the wheels.

4. Is the distance traveled by a rubber band powered car affected by the type of surface it is traveling on?

Yes, the type of surface can greatly affect the distance traveled by a rubber band powered car. A smooth and flat surface will allow the car to travel further, while a rough or uneven surface may cause the car to lose momentum and travel a shorter distance.

5. How can the distance traveled by a rubber band powered car be measured?

The distance traveled by a rubber band powered car can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler. The car can be set on a flat surface and the distance it travels when the rubber band is released can be measured. This measurement can be repeated multiple times and an average can be calculated for a more accurate result.