1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance traveled using velocity

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    1. A dog runs back and forth between its two owners, who are walking toward one another. The dog starts running when the owners are 10.0m apart. If the dog runs with a speed of 3.0m/s, and the owners each walk with a speed of 1.3m/s , how far has the dog traveled when the owners meet?

My attempt:
    I know each owner will travel a distance of 5m at 1.3m/s which equals 6.5s of time. The dog travels 3.0m/s for the 6.5s= 19.5m traveled, but the answer given is 11m. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

tms

How far do you travel in 6.5 sec if you go at 1.3 m/sec?

4. Feb 16, 2013 #3
    Hey physics problems can be tough to get thru sometimes.

You can use an equation that relates velocity, time, and distance to get your answer.

Remember, Average velocity = Δx divided by Δt...where x is displacement and t is time. The trick here is also that you have two people moving at the same velocity closing a distance of 10m.

Once you have the time it takes for these two people to meet, solve for the Δx of the dog.

5. Feb 17, 2013 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

6. Feb 17, 2013 #5
    You can also simplify the problem by treating one owner as being stationary and the other moving at 2.6m/s

EDIT: I got 11.5385, which I think you should round up...not quite sure about this method

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook