Parabola Formation: Exploring the Relationship Between Distance and Velocity

• Thread starter lawk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, when a graph of distance (y-axis) vs. velocity (x-axis) is plotted against each other with constant acceleration, it forms a parabola. This is because the equations s=ut+1/2at^2 and v^2-u^2=2as suggest a relationship between velocity and distance that follows a power function. This can be seen in the data provided, where the graph of distance vs. velocity forms a parabolic shape.
lawk

Homework Statement

Why is a parabola formed when a graph of distance(y axis) vs. velocity(x axis) is plotted against each other? (constant acceleration)

Homework Equations

s=ut+1/2at^2 (guessing?)
v^2-u^2 = 2as (guessing?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if there is any relationship between veloctiy and distance without knowing the time. But my teacher told me that time was not needed to prove it was a power function...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.

I'd say you're thinking about the problem in the wrong way.

Try drawing up the parabolic graph of distance vs velocity, and then ask yourself what the graph's shape is suggesting.

I hope that's a good enough hint in the right direction.

~ Ek.

Last edited:
I don't really understand...
my data is like below
distance(m)
vel(m/s)

How can I prove what kind of function is it??

The graph looks like this...

Attachments

• graph.JPG
    graph.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 376

1. What is the difference between distance and velocity?

Distance is a measurement of how far an object has traveled, while velocity is a measurement of how fast an object is moving in a particular direction.

2. Are distance and velocity directly proportional?

No, distance and velocity are not directly proportional. An object can have a constant velocity while traveling different distances, or it can have different velocities while traveling the same distance.

3. How are distance and velocity related?

Distance and velocity are related through the formula velocity = distance/time. This means that the velocity of an object is dependent on how much distance it covers in a specific amount of time.

4. Can an object have a constant velocity while changing distance?

Yes, an object can have a constant velocity while changing distance. This can occur if the object is moving along a curved path, where its direction is constantly changing, but its speed remains constant.

5. What is the importance of understanding the relationship between distance and velocity?

Understanding the relationship between distance and velocity is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects, and is essential for analyzing and designing systems that involve movement.