Distribution of Maximum of Two Random Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distribution of a random variable (RV) X which is the maximum of two RVs, Xi and Xj, from a set of i.i.d N RVs. The suggested method is to use order statistics and the convolution theorem, with one person suggesting a transformation technique and another mentioning the use of a Chi-squared distribution. However, the calculations can be simplified by using Extreme Value Theory distribution if N is large enough.
EngWiPy
Hi all,

I have a random variable (RV):

[tex]X=\text{max}X_i+X_j[/tex]

where Xi and Xj are two different RVs from a set of i.i.d N RVs. I need to find the distribution of X. What is the most efficient way?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
S_David said:
Hi all,

where Xi and Xj are two different RVs from a set of i.i.d N RVs. I need to find the distribution of X. What is the most efficient way?

Thanks in advance

Hey S_David.

For this problem you can use order statistics and the convolution theorem to get what you want.

The order statistics is used for getting the Max(X) term and the convolution is used to calculate the distribution for summing independent (but not necessarily indentically distributed) random variables.

Are you familiar with these?

chiro said:
Hey S_David.

For this problem you can use order statistics and the convolution theorem to get what you want.

The order statistics is used for getting the Max(X) term and the convolution is used to calculate the distribution for summing independent (but not necessarily indentically distributed) random variables.

Are you familiar with these?

I worked with order statistics when I choose one random variable, but in this case I need to pick the maximum two random variables. The problem is that the distribution of each component is very complicated, and I need a way that I can handle this. Actually:

[tex]X_i=\|h_{1i}\|^2\|h_{2i}\|^2[/tex]

where each of the components in the multiplication is Chi-square RV with 2L degrees of freedom.

Thanks

S_David said:
I worked with order statistics when I choose one random variable, but in this case I need to pick the maximum two random variables. The problem is that the distribution of each component is very complicated, and I need a way that I can handle this. Actually:

[tex]X_i=\|h_{1i}\|^2\|h_{2i}\|^2[/tex]

where each of the components in the multiplication is Chi-square RV with 2L degrees of freedom.

Thanks

One idea that comes to mind is to use a transformation technique.

One suggestion I have is to find the pdf/cdf of the square of a chi-squared distribution. Is this what you mean when you use a norm-squared term?

After this you could use other techniques to find your expression where you multiply two norm-squared terms to get the pdf/cdf of your X_i.

After that you can use other techniques like order statistics and convolution to do the rest.

S_David said:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance

These can get fairly complicated:

[itex]fX(i),X(j)(u, v) =
\frac {n!}{(i − 1)!(j − 1 − i)!(n − j)!}
fX(u)fX(v)[FX(u)]i−1[FX(v)−FX(u)]j−1−i[1−FX(v)]n−j[/itex]

for [itex]−\infty < u < v < \infty[/itex]

Maybe you can work backwards from this.

Last edited:
chiro said:
One idea that comes to mind is to use a transformation technique.

One suggestion I have is to find the pdf/cdf of the square of a chi-squared distribution. Is this what you mean when you use a norm-squared term?

After this you could use other techniques to find your expression where you multiply two norm-squared terms to get the pdf/cdf of your X_i.

After that you can use other techniques like order statistics and convolution to do the rest.

The steps are clear in my mind, however, the details are very complicated and the results are very involved.

I hoped there was an easier way.

Thanks anyway

SW VandeCarr said:
These can get fairly complicated:

[itex]fX(i),X(j)(u, v) =
n!
(i − 1)!(j − 1 − i)!(n − j)!

for [itex]−\infty < u < v < \infty[/itex]

Maybe you can work backwards from this.

What are these? I am sorry, but I did not get it.

Thanks

S_David said:
What are these? I am sorry, but I did not get it.

Thanks

Sorry. Bad Latex. It should be the joint pdf of X(i),(Xj). This is what you asked for, isn't it?

[itex]fX(i),X(j)(u, v) =
\frac {n!}
{(i − 1)!(j − 1 − i)!(n − j)!}
for [itex]-\infty< u < v < \infty [/itex]

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
Sorry. Bad latex. It should be the joint pdf of X(i),Xj). This is what you asked for, isn't it?

[itex]fX(i),X(j)(u, v) =
\frac {n}!
{(i − 1)!(j − 1 − i)!(n − j)!}
for [itex]-\infty< u < v < \infty [/itex]

Yeah, I need the joint p.d.f of the summation of the maximum two RVs.

S_David said:
Yeah, I need the joint p.d.f of the summation of the maximum two RVs.

You quoted it before I could correct another mistake. I think it's OK now.

Last edited:
S_David said:
Hi all,

[itex]X=\text{max}X_i+X_j[/itex]

Thanks in advance

If N is large enough you can use Extreme Value Theory distribution for [tex]\text{max}X_i[/tex] instead order statistics which I think it would simplify the calculations... Good luck!

Related to Distribution of Maximum of Two Random Variables

What is the "Distribution of Maximum of Two Random Variables"?

The "Distribution of Maximum of Two Random Variables" is a statistical concept that describes the probability distribution of the maximum value that can be obtained from a set of two random variables. It is used to analyze and predict the outcomes of experiments and events that involve two random variables.

How is the distribution of maximum of two random variables calculated?

The distribution of maximum of two random variables is calculated by finding the maximum value between the two random variables and then determining the probability of obtaining that value. This can be done using mathematical formulas and statistical methods such as calculating the cumulative distribution function or using simulation techniques.

What are the applications of the distribution of maximum of two random variables?

The distribution of maximum of two random variables is used in various fields such as finance, engineering, and biology. It is commonly used in risk analysis, where the maximum value represents the worst-case scenario. It is also used in reliability engineering to predict the maximum failure rate of a system.

What is the relationship between the distribution of maximum of two random variables and the distribution of each individual variable?

The distribution of maximum of two random variables is related to the distribution of each individual variable through the concept of joint probability. By combining the distributions of the two variables, we can determine the probability of obtaining a maximum value from the two variables.

How does the distribution of maximum of two random variables change when the variables are dependent or independent?

If the two random variables are independent, the distribution of maximum will be a simple combination of the distributions of each individual variable. However, if the variables are dependent, the distribution of maximum will be influenced by the correlation between the two variables. In this case, advanced statistical techniques may be needed to calculate the distribution of maximum.