1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Div and curl

1. May 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    F = [tex]\frac{r}{r}[/tex]

Find divF
    and curl F

2. Relevant equations
    r = x[tex]\widehat{i}[/tex] + y[tex]\widehat{j}[/tex] + z[tex]\widehat{k}[/tex]

r = [tex]\sqrt{(x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2})}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

F = [tex]\frac{x}{(\sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}})}[/tex][tex]\widehat{i}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{y}{(\sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}})}[/tex][tex]\widehat{j}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{z}{(\sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}})}[/tex][tex]\widehat{k}[/tex]

div F = [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex] [tex](x(x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2})^{\frac{-1}{2}}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/tex][tex](y(x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2})^{\frac{-1}{2}}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial z}[/tex][tex](z(x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2})^{\frac{-1}{2}}[/tex]

Take the partial derivative of x first.

let u = [tex]x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}[/tex]
    and a = [tex] xu^{2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex] = 2x
    [tex]\frac{\partial a}{\partial u}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-1}{2}[/tex]x[tex]u^{\frac{-3}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial a}{\partial x}[/tex] = -[tex]x^{2}[/tex][tex]u^{\frac{-3}{2}}[/tex]
    = -[tex]x^{2}[/tex]([tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2})}}[/tex][tex])^{3}[/tex]

The other derivatives would give similar answers, and the final answer would be

-[tex]\frac{x^{2}}{r^{3}}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{y^{2}}{r^{3}}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{z^{2}}{r^{3}}[/tex]

This is apparently the incorrect answer, can anybody help?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2008 #2
    The three parts that didnt come up are partial derivatives; du/dx da/du and da/dx

And the r as the numerator in the first equation is meant to be in bold to denote that it is a vector.

4. May 14, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ineedmunchies! :smile:

(here's √ and ² and ∂ for you to copy-and-paste
    oh … and tags like B don't work in LaTeX
    hmm … nice LaTeX apart from that, though! :smile:)

ooooh … this is horrible … can't look … need air:cry:

Just use r² = x² + y² + z², so 2r∂r/∂x = … ? :smile:

5. May 14, 2008 #4
    hmmm sorry where are you getting 2r∂r/∂x from?

6. May 14, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Differentiating r² with respect to x. :smile:

(Chain rule: ∂r²/∂x = dr²/dr ∂r/∂x = 2r ∂r/∂x.)

(Can you read r² on your computer? if not, it's supposed to be r^2. :redface:)

7. May 14, 2008 #6
    ah actually never mind, i've worked it out. I had left out part of the product rule in my differentiation. I would post the full worked solution but its quite long and the forums seem to be running slow for me today.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?