1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence Theorem - Confused :s (2 problems)

1. Apr 13, 2007 #1
    Question

Evaluate both sides of the divergence theorem for

V =(x)i +(y)j

over a circle of radius R

Correct answer

The answer should be 2(pi)(R^2)

My Answer

the divergence theorem is

**integral** (V . n ) d(sigma) = **double intergral** DivV d(tau)

in 2D. Where (sigma) is the curve bounding the area (tau.) n is the unit normal vector to the curve.

I did the RHS of the divergence theorem fine and got 2(pi)(R^2)

For the LHS:

First I need to work out n, the unit normal vector to the circle.

The equation of the circle is y=(1 - (x^2)^1/2)

To get the unit normal you use the nabla (gradient) function to get a vector that points away from the line and then normalize it.

First problem: In the solution they took grad(x^2 + y^2.) You end up with n (normalised) as (x/R)i + (y/R)j. . But i dont understand why you take grad(x^2 + y^2) when the line has the function f(x)=(1 - (x^2)^1/2)

Pretending i understood that bit and moving on you get V.n = (x^2/R) + (y^2R) = R^2/R =R

So I need to work out *integral* R d(sigma)

i presume d(sigma) (the elemental boundary length) is d(theta.) Then you do the line integral from 0 to 2(pi) . R is a constant so you can take it out then you just get 2(pi) for the integral

=> *integral* (V.n) d(sigma) = 2(pi)R

which is wrong (missing an R)

Sorry for the length of that. Some help on those two problems would be awesome. :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2007 #2
    Well, the big problem with the first part you're having trouble with is that f(x) = (1 - x^2)^(1/2) only represents the top part of the circle.

The second problem is that d(sigma) isn't d(theta).

4. Apr 13, 2007 #3
    Yes! its R d(theta.) The length of the arc subtended. Which would provide the extra R. Excellent, thankyou :biggrin:

Okay point taken. Im not sure how else to write the function though. f(x) = +/-(1 - x^2)^(1/2) would give the top and the bottom but i can't do anything with that.

(just noticed something, that should be a an R not a 1. Doesnt affect anything)

Since in the solution you do grad(x^2 + y^2.) you must be taking grad f(x,y) where

f(x,y)= x^2 + y^2

but thats the equation of a 3D surface (i dont know what surface, its not a sphere.)

How does it represent my circle of radius R? (Theres no R in it for a start)

5. Apr 13, 2007 #4
    Technically, what you should do is find a tangent vector for your circle, then get a vector perpendicular to that to find the normal. But, as far as I remember, taking the gradient is essentially a cheat.

Basically, what you're doing is saying that every level set of f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 represents a circle of some radius. So what you do is find the outward normal of the surface (which is (fx, fy, -1), then project it into the plane (level set) where z = r^2, and that gives you the outward normal for the circle in that plane.

But don't quote me on that. I never got a really rigorous treatment of that kind of stuff because the few times it was covered in my classes, I was swamped with other work. I just used it if it worked.

6. Apr 13, 2007 #5
    okay got it. So i can think of f(x,y) as like a contour map with a load of concentric circles each representing a value of f(x,y.)

So you workout grad f(x,y) and normalize it then set (x^2 + y^2) to R^2... and it works!

thankyou for all the help mystic. Youre a legend

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?