Divergence Theorem - Confused :s (2 problems)

In summary: DIn summary, the divergence theorem is a formula that calculates the divergence of two vectors. The equation of the circle is y=(1 - (x^2)^1/2) and the unit normal vector is n=(x/R)i + (y/R)j. The integral of V.n d(sigma) is 2(pi)R^2.
halfoflessthan5
Question

Evaluate both sides of the divergence theorem for

V =(x)i +(y)j

over a circle of radius R

Correct answer

The answer should be 2(pi)(R^2)

My Answer

the divergence theorem is

**integral** (V . n ) d(sigma) = **double intergral** DivV d(tau)

in 2D. Where (sigma) is the curve bounding the area (tau.) n is the unit normal vector to the curve.

I did the RHS of the divergence theorem fine and got 2(pi)(R^2)

For the LHS:

First I need to work out n, the unit normal vector to the circle.

The equation of the circle is y=(1 - (x^2)^1/2)

To get the unit normal you use the nabla (gradient) function to get a vector that points away from the line and then normalize it.

First problem: In the solution they took grad(x^2 + y^2.) You end up with n (normalised) as (x/R)i + (y/R)j. . But i don't understand why you take grad(x^2 + y^2) when the line has the function f(x)=(1 - (x^2)^1/2)

Pretending i understood that bit and moving on you get V.n = (x^2/R) + (y^2R) = R^2/R =R

So I need to work out *integral* R d(sigma)

i presume d(sigma) (the elemental boundary length) is d(theta.) Then you do the line integral from 0 to 2(pi) . R is a constant so you can take it out then you just get 2(pi) for the integral

=> *integral* (V.n) d(sigma) = 2(pi)R

which is wrong (missing an R)

Sorry for the length of that. Some help on those two problems would be awesome. :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the big problem with the first part you're having trouble with is that f(x) = (1 - x^2)^(1/2) only represents the top part of the circle.

The second problem is that d(sigma) isn't d(theta).

Mystic998 said:
The second problem is that d(sigma) isn't d(theta).

Yes! its R d(theta.) The length of the arc subtended. Which would provide the extra R. Excellent, thankyou :biggrin:

Mystic998 said:
Well, the big problem with the first part you're having trouble with is that f(x) = (1 - x^2)^(1/2) only represents the top part of the circle.

Okay point taken. I am not sure how else to write the function though. f(x) = +/-(1 - x^2)^(1/2) would give the top and the bottom but i can't do anything with that.

(just noticed something, that should be a an R not a 1. Doesnt affect anything)

Since in the solution you do grad(x^2 + y^2.) you must be taking grad f(x,y) where

f(x,y)= x^2 + y^2

but that's the equation of a 3D surface (i don't know what surface, its not a sphere.)

How does it represent my circle of radius R? (Theres no R in it for a start)

Technically, what you should do is find a tangent vector for your circle, then get a vector perpendicular to that to find the normal. But, as far as I remember, taking the gradient is essentially a cheat.

Basically, what you're doing is saying that every level set of f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 represents a circle of some radius. So what you do is find the outward normal of the surface (which is (fx, fy, -1), then project it into the plane (level set) where z = r^2, and that gives you the outward normal for the circle in that plane.

But don't quote me on that. I never got a really rigorous treatment of that kind of stuff because the few times it was covered in my classes, I was swamped with other work. I just used it if it worked.

okay got it. So i can think of f(x,y) as like a contour map with a load of concentric circles each representing a value of f(x,y.)

So you workout grad f(x,y) and normalize it then set (x^2 + y^2) to R^2... and it works!

thankyou for all the help mystic. Youre a legend

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is a mathematical theorem used in vector calculus to relate the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the triple integral of the divergence of the same vector field over the region enclosed by the surface. In simpler terms, it is a way to calculate the flow of a vector field through a closed surface.

2. How does the Divergence Theorem work?

The Divergence Theorem states that the surface integral of a vector field F over a closed surface S is equal to the triple integral of the divergence of F over the volume enclosed by S. In other words, the total amount of a vector field flowing out of a closed surface is equal to the amount of divergence within the enclosed volume.

3. What are some real-life applications of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem has many practical applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating fluid flow through a closed surface, determining the net electric flux through a closed surface, and analyzing the stress distribution in a solid object. It is also used in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other fields of science.

4. How is the Divergence Theorem related to Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a special case of the Divergence Theorem, where the surface S is a closed curve in a two-dimensional plane. In this case, the Divergence Theorem reduces to Green's Theorem, which relates the line integral of a vector field to the double integral of its curl over the region enclosed by the curve.

5. Can the Divergence Theorem be applied to non-closed surfaces?

No, the Divergence Theorem only applies to closed surfaces, as it is based on the concept of a flux flowing through a closed surface. For non-closed surfaces, other theorems such as Stokes' Theorem or the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus may be used to calculate the flow of a vector field.