Division Illustration for Equal Sharing

• Thread starter Outblaze
  • Start date
In summary, to find the number of units of Awesome used in a whole cake, you can use a proportion or divide the amount used in a portion by the percentage of the portion and then multiply by 100. Another approach is to divide the amount used in a portion by the percentage of the portion and then multiply by the number of equal chunks in the whole cake.
Outblaze
Suppose that 3.2 units of Awesome are used in 40% of a cake. How many units of Awesome are used in a whole?

The answer is 3.2 ÷ 0.4 = 8

What I need to know is how to DRAW the question as equal division and not repeated subtraction.

I attached a pic of what I think it looks like. Tell me if I'm headed in the right direction.

Attachments

• awesomeness.jpg
    awesomeness.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is easy to get using a proportion:
[tex]\frac{3.2}{.4} = \frac{x}{1}[/tex]
==> x = 8

That apparently isn't what you want. One possible way to go is to realize that 1.6 units of awesome are used in 20% (or one-fifth) of a cake, so if you have 5 equal chunks of the cake, you'll have 5 X 1.6 = 8 units of Awesome.

Related to Division Illustration for Equal Sharing

1. What is division-equal sharing?

Division-equal sharing is a mathematical operation in which a quantity is divided into equal parts. It is used to distribute or share a set amount among a specified number of people or objects.

2. How is division-equal sharing different from regular division?

Division-equal sharing is a specific type of division that focuses on sharing a quantity equally among a group. In regular division, the focus is on dividing a quantity into equal parts, which may not necessarily involve sharing.

3. What are the steps for performing division-equal sharing?

The steps for division-equal sharing are as follows:

1. Determine the total quantity to be shared.
  2. Decide how many parts the quantity will be divided into.
  3. Divide the total quantity by the number of parts to determine the size of each part.
  4. Distribute the parts equally among the group.

4. Can division-equal sharing be used in real-life situations?

Yes, division-equal sharing has many practical applications. For example, it can be used to divide a pizza equally among a group of friends, distribute a set budget among different expenses, or split a pile of candy equally among children.

5. What are some strategies for solving division-equal sharing problems?

Some strategies for solving division-equal sharing problems include drawing a visual representation of the problem, using manipulatives or objects to physically divide and share, and using multiplication to check the answer. It is also helpful to understand the concept of fractions and their relationship to division.