DIY laminar flow hood filtration question

• Misc.
  • Thread starter grunttruck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laminar flow
grunttruck
hello everyone, i am building a laminar flow hood for plant tissue culturing and have a question regarding flow and filters. my issue is i want a decent size of work space, that isn't all cramped up. as it stands, a 12"x24" hepa or merv 17 rated filter is pretty expensive, but two 12"x14" filters are not. my question is, would the laminar flow be disrupted by splicing two filters together? assuming i find a pair of filters that have a thin enough trim/border that would make the seam marginal at best, that is, if this makes sense. thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you going to use a perforated plate to generate the flow pattern? If so, the seam between the filters won't matter.

Likes grunttruck and Baluncore
russ_watters said:
Are you going to use a perforated plate to generate the flow pattern? If so, the seam between the filters won't mat
cheers for the reply.. the plan i was following didn't mention any perforated plates, but i suppose i could include them. would egg crate work? or even putting the hepa filters before a furnace prefilter of the same combined size?

Furnace pre-filter would work OK, but, how big is this seam? It may not be a big problem. And do you have a drawing of the hood?

Likes grunttruck
russ_watters said:
Furnace pre-filter would work OK, but, how big is this seam? It may not be a big problem. And do you have a drawing of the hood?
i'm reckoning the seam will be about 1/4" max

here's a couple pictures from the plans. the first is the filter box without the filter and fan housing, the second includes those. this plan is for a 2'x4' filter, but i will be scaling it down
capture1.JPG
capture2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a laminar flow hood and how does it work?

A laminar flow hood is a carefully enclosed bench designed to prevent contamination of semiconductor wafers, biological samples, or any particle sensitive materials. Air passes through a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) or ULPA (Ultra Low Particulate Air) filter which then blows in a very smooth, laminar flow towards the user. This setup ensures that the air inside the hood is free from dust, microbes, and other particles, providing a clean environment necessary for sensitive scientific or electronic work.

What are the key components needed to build a DIY laminar flow hood?

To build a DIY laminar flow hood, you need several key components: a fan to move air, a HEPA or ULPA filter to clean the air, a pre-filter to capture larger particles before they reach the HEPA filter, a sturdy enclosure to support these components, and duct tape or sealant to ensure an airtight assembly. Optionally, a variable speed controller for the fan can be included to adjust the airflow as needed.

How do I choose the right filter for my DIY laminar flow hood?

Choosing the right filter depends on the specific requirements of your application. HEPA filters can remove at least 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 micrometers (µm) in diameter, which is suitable for most applications. ULPA filters are even more efficient, removing at least 99.999% of airborne particles 0.12 µm in diameter, making them ideal for extremely sensitive environments. Consider the size of the filter as well, which should match the fan capacity and the size of the hood.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when building a DIY laminar flow hood?

Common mistakes include not sealing the hood properly, leading to leaks that can allow unfiltered air to enter; using an inadequate fan that doesn't provide sufficient airflow through the HEPA filter; or using a filter that does not match the specifications required for the intended use. Additionally, improper placement of the hood in a room with high air turbulence can counteract its effectiveness.

How should I maintain my DIY laminar flow hood to ensure it operates effectively?

Maintenance is crucial for keeping your laminar flow hood functioning effectively. Regularly check and replace the pre-filter, which captures large particles and prolongs the life of the HEPA filter. The HEPA filter itself should be replaced according to the manufacturer's recommendations or if you notice a decrease in airflow. Additionally, keep the interior of the hood clean and free from clutter to avoid disrupting the laminar flow. Regular testing of airflow patterns within the hood can also help detect any performance issues early.