DNA Waves and Water: Examining Nobel Prize Winner's Experiment

In summary, The conversation discusses a paper regarding DNA waves and water and raises skepticism about the validity of the experiment due to the assumptions made and low frequencies detected. One person mentions that the author may be a crackpot, with the exception of his Nobel Prize, and that this is not uncommon for distinguished scientists.
Bob Loblaw
"DNA waves and water"

Hello all,

I've tried to keep in touch with the physics world in my life beyond academics and I came across this paper:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1012/1012.5166v1.pdf

On one hand I think "this guy is a Nobel prize winner" and on the other hand I am thinking "Oh no not messages in water / bach homeopathic remedies again". I am a bit of a skeptic in these matters and I have been looking over this experiment to see if I could suss out another explanations for the results. One thing that struck me as a bit off was that he is assuming the electrical activities of simple life can be modeled as simple background EM yet he intends to measure very small amounts of energy. Also I am not sure how he is getting such low frequencies from a small device unless he is plugging in some assumptions that are not true in this case.

Perhaps someone with more of an eye toward these things could point out why this experiment behaves the way that it does.

Physics news on Phys.org

He is a crackpot. The only difference between him and most other crackpots is that he is a Nobel laureate.
Note that there are plenty of examples of distinguished scientists that turned into crackpots as they got older (including a few Nobel laureates) so this is nothing new.

1. What is the Nobel Prize Winner's experiment about?

The experiment, conducted by Nobel Prize Winner Dr. Luc Montagnier, aimed to study the electromagnetic waves produced by DNA molecules in water.

2. How was the experiment conducted?

The experiment involved diluting DNA samples in water and then subjecting them to various electromagnetic frequencies. The resulting electromagnetic waves were then measured using specialized equipment.

3. What were the results of the experiment?

The results showed that DNA molecules emit specific electromagnetic waves that can be detected and measured in water. These waves were found to have a unique frequency and pattern for each type of DNA molecule.

4. What is the significance of this experiment?

This experiment provides evidence for the theory that DNA is not only a molecule of biological information, but also a source of electromagnetic energy. It also opens up possibilities for new research and applications in the fields of biology and biophysics.

5. Has this experiment been replicated by other scientists?

Yes, the experiment has been successfully replicated by other scientists, further supporting the findings of Dr. Montagnier's experiment. However, there is still ongoing research and debate on the potential implications and applications of this discovery.