Do Empty spaces/text slow down code?

In summary, spaces and comments do not significantly slow down the operation of a for-loop with 5000 cycles, as they are removed from consideration during the compilation or interpretation process. The method of execution (compile and run or interpretive) also plays a factor in the speed of the operation.
Jarfi
If you are say running a for-loop with 5000 cycles, will 2 empty spaces and say 3-comments slow this operation down?

Technology news on Phys.org
In general, no.

There are two methods of execution compile and run where code is converted to machine code and then run. This is the fastest option used for C/C++, Fortran...

The second method is interpretive where each line is tokenized and the tokens are processed and run:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpreter_(computing)

If your spaces were within quotes and were being printed each time then that would slow things down very very slightly. The more data you process the longer it takes a program to run.

However, in interpretive or compiled languages the spaces are removed from consideration as the code is converted to a more executable format.

Likes elusiveshame

1. Does having extra empty spaces in my code slow down its execution?

Yes, it can. While a few extra spaces may not make a significant difference, too many unnecessary spaces can increase the file size and make it take longer to load. This is especially true for web applications where the code is transferred over the internet.

2. How does adding comments affect the speed of my code?

Adding comments to your code does not slow down its execution. Comments are ignored by the compiler or interpreter, so they do not affect the performance of the code. They are useful for providing explanations and making the code more readable.

3. Will removing empty spaces and comments significantly speed up my code?

It depends on the size of your code and the number of empty spaces and comments. In general, removing them will have a minimal impact on the speed of your code. However, it can make a difference in large projects with thousands of lines of code.

4. How can I optimize my code for faster execution?

There are several ways to optimize your code for faster execution, such as using efficient algorithms, reducing unnecessary computations, and optimizing loops. Removing unnecessary empty spaces and comments can also help, but it should not be the main focus of optimization.

5. Is it bad practice to have empty spaces and comments in my code?

No, it is not. In fact, having well-documented and organized code with comments can improve its readability and maintainability. However, it is essential to strike a balance and not overuse empty spaces and comments, as it can affect the performance of the code.