Do Graduate schools care about length of undergraduate career

In summary, taking more than four years to complete an undergraduate degree is not a bad thing. It can have all sorts of reasons and the school won't care.
neosoul
Hey PF,

I'm currently double majoring in engineering and physics. I want to be a licensed engineer and go on to grad school to study molecular engineering or something similar. However, I love my physics department. It's smaller so students get more funding and attention and way more opportunities with less competition. The way things are going, it will take me about 5 years to graduate (and that's if more than one class for a course is offered each semester--small school :/ ). Would graduate schools care if I take more than four years to complete my undergrad career? Would they provide less funding?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, not in that case. Taking five years to do a double major is fine.

What they look out for, if anything at all, is someone who is playing the game - trying to bolster marks by reducing workload, or who simply can't handle a full undergraduate workload successfully. Even then, the fact that someone takes more time can have all sorts of reasons. Maybe the student has a family to provide for. Maybe the student has a disability. Maybe the student didn't decide on a major until later or needed an extra year to figure out what field he or she really wanted to pursue for graduate studies. These, and yours are legitimate reasons for stretching an undergraduate degree out.

Choppy said:
No, not in that case. Taking five years to do a double major is fine.

What they look out for, if anything at all, is someone who is playing the game - trying to bolster marks by reducing workload, or who simply can't handle a full undergraduate workload successfully. Even then, the fact that someone takes more time can have all sorts of reasons. Maybe the student has a family to provide for. Maybe the student has a disability. Maybe the student didn't decide on a major until later or needed an extra year to figure out what field he or she really wanted to pursue for graduate studies. These, and yours are legitimate reasons for stretching an undergraduate degree out.

Thanks! I could have already started taking classes in engineering but I was afraid that I wouldn't graduate with my friends or being afraid of what they would think. I started to realize that I was putting peers before education and that it was an insecure, immature thought.

1. Does the length of my undergraduate career affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

Yes, the length of your undergraduate career can affect your chances of getting into graduate school. Admissions committees will typically look at the length of your undergraduate career as an indication of your commitment to your studies and your ability to handle a rigorous academic workload.

2. How much does the length of my undergraduate career matter to graduate schools?

The impact of the length of your undergraduate career on your chances of getting into graduate school will vary depending on the specific program and institution. Some may place more weight on this factor than others, but it is generally considered to be a significant factor in the admissions process.

3. Will a longer undergraduate career hurt my chances of getting into graduate school?

Not necessarily. While a longer undergraduate career may raise some concerns for admissions committees, it can also provide you with an opportunity to demonstrate your academic growth and maturity. It is important to have a strong academic record and to address any potential concerns in your application materials.

4. Can I still get into graduate school if I took a gap year or had breaks in my undergraduate career?

Yes, taking a gap year or having breaks in your undergraduate career will not automatically disqualify you from getting into graduate school. Admissions committees will typically consider the reasons for these breaks and look at your overall academic performance and potential for success in graduate studies.

5. How can I address the length of my undergraduate career in my graduate school application?

You can address the length of your undergraduate career in your application by providing context and explanation for any gaps or breaks in your academic history. You can also highlight any relevant experiences or achievements during this time that demonstrate your readiness for graduate studies. It is important to be honest and transparent in your application materials.