1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do I have the abilities to continue for a Phd?

1. Aug 9, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    I want to know if I have the qualities of continuing for a Master degree and then to a Phd. I am a Mechanical Engineering student in the Middle east. I am asking this question because I do not know what are the qualifications that I need to continue. I usually get an A+ or at least a B+ in engineering courses but I can hardly remember anything 2 months after finishing the course, is it normal ? I don't know how to deal with differentials. Moreover, should my GPA be 3.9 to continue? my current GPA is 3.5 and I got some hounors. I will graduate in 2011. I am fond of engineering and really want to participate in helping humanity, improving industry and giving istead of just taking.

What makes me asking this question is that I cannot understand some of the scientific articles or theories. for example, I tried to read about Weather modification and for general knowledge the theory of relativity but I could not understand that much.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2009 #2
    Everyone has a bad memory, that's why everyone does revision, and why all maximise revision just before the exam rather than two months before the exam. Who can, or wants to, remember all those silly differential rules. You can look em up if you ever need them in your research. I'm always coming across stuff I can't understand 'much'. The world is an exceedingly complicated place, and there's a lot of hard science around, and each of us can only grasp a fraction of it.

4. Aug 10, 2009 #3
    Once you are past a certain basic level of academic ability, getting a Ph.D. is much more about determination than intellectual ability. It's a long hard road to slog, and a lot of very smart people can't do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook