Do I need research in my desired area of study?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concern of a rising junior undergraduate electrical engineering student about not having research experience in their preferred sub fields. They mention their primary research interests in electromagnetics, plasmas, and solid state devices, but note that none of the professors in their department share those interests. They do have research experience in robotics and networking, but are worried this may put them at a disadvantage when applying to top graduate schools in electrical engineering or applied physics. They ask whether taking relevant courses and having research experience in other areas will still make them competitive for graduate admissions in the US, and whether this would differ between masters and Ph.D programs. They also mention their plans to potentially pursue applied physics programs, but acknowledge the competitiveness of these
axmls
I was unable to fit any more details into the title. I'm a rising junior undergraduate electrical engineering student. My primary research interests (at the moment) are Electromagnetics, plasmas, solid state devices--pretty much any field with a heavy physics overlap.

Unfortunately, none of the professors in my department have research interests similar to mine (except for one, and I don't think he takes on undergraduate students for research).

I do have research experience in the area of robotics and networking, and I've been doing that since I started college. I'll have 4 years of research experience in those areas by the time I graduate. In addition, I may be able to get involved with another professor doing image processing work. However, these fields are (to my knowledge) somewhat removed from my research interests. I'm concerned that not having experience doing research in my actual preferred sub fields will put me at a disadvantage when applying to top graduate schools in the field, as I'm sure other students will be applying who actually have done research in those fields.

So, assuming that I take the appropriate courses to serve as an introduction to a sub field I want to do research in, will not having research experience in that specific sub field cause me to be at a disadvantage in terms of graduate admissions in electrical engineering (or even applied physics) in the United states, particularly at higher-ranked programs, even if I have research experience in other areas of electrical engineering?

I'm sure there's a lot of overlap between this question and the same question for physics majors (e.g. Wanting to go into cosmology while only having experience with solid state physics).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Graduate admissions? What degree and what field?

I've slightly edited the OP. I'm specifically referring to electrical engineering graduate programs. If the answer would differ whether it would be masters or Ph.D, then I'd like to see both (the jury is still out on which one I'll do). I'd also like to know how it applies to applied physics programs (assuming the courses I end up taking provide me with a strong enough background should I decide to do that--but I'm aware this would probably be very competitive).

It will also depend on the country you want to go to.

This is all in the US.

1. Do I need research experience to be successful in my desired field of study?

It depends on the specific field of study and career path you are pursuing. In some fields, research experience may be essential for success, while in others it may be less important. It is always a good idea to gain research experience, as it can enhance your skills and knowledge and make you a more competitive candidate for jobs and graduate programs.

2. How can research experience benefit me in my desired field of study?

Research experience can provide you with valuable skills, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication. It can also help you gain a deeper understanding of your field and make connections with other researchers and professionals in your field. Additionally, research experience can make you a more competitive candidate for jobs and graduate programs.

3. Can I gain research experience outside of my desired field of study?

Yes, research experience is not limited to your desired field of study. Many skills and techniques learned through research can be transferable to other fields. You can also use research experience in a different field as a way to gain a broader perspective and make connections between different disciplines.

4. How can I find research opportunities in my desired area of study?

There are several ways to find research opportunities in your desired area of study. You can reach out to professors at your university who are conducting research in your field and ask if they have any openings for research assistants. You can also look for internships or volunteer positions at research institutions or organizations related to your field. Additionally, many universities have undergraduate research programs that can help match you with research opportunities.

5. Can I conduct my own research in my desired area of study?

Yes, as a scientist, you have the opportunity to conduct your own research in your desired area of study. This can be done through independent study projects, research internships, or graduate programs. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in your field and gain research experience before embarking on your own research projects.