How Much Work to Stretch a Spring 4 cm from Equilibrium?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary: Look at post #6. When you say "you need to know the height when using the ever easy equation of potential energy equals mass times gravity times height.", flyingpig might think he needs to know the value of d or h. And he doesn't need these...In summary, a 5kg mass hung vertically on a light spring stretches the spring by 3 cm. An external agent must do work to stretch the spring by 4 cm from its equilibrium position. The spring is hung vertically from the ceiling. The acceleration due to gravity is treated as a constant 9.81 m/s2. The work can be calculated by finding the potential energy stored in the spring, which can be determined by knowing the value of k through the
Oh lol

mg = kx

mg/x = (5*10)(3) = 50/3 = 16.7N/m

16.7N/m * -3.5 * 10^-4 + 50 * 1 * 10^-2 = 0.49J Still positive?

<h2>1. Do I need to know the height to solve this?</h2><p>The answer to this question depends on the specific problem you are trying to solve. In some cases, knowing the height may be necessary to find a solution, while in others it may not be relevant at all.</p><h2>2. Can I estimate the height instead of knowing the exact value?</h2><p>Again, this depends on the problem. In some cases, an estimation of the height may be sufficient to find a solution. However, for more precise calculations, knowing the exact height may be necessary.</p><h2>3. How can I determine the height if it is not given?</h2><p>If the height is not given in the problem, you may need to use other information or equations to calculate it. This could involve using measurements of other variables, such as distance or time, to find the height.</p><h2>4. What units should I use for the height?</h2><p>The units for height will depend on the units used for other variables in the problem. It is important to use consistent units throughout your calculations to ensure accuracy.</p><h2>5. Is the height always necessary in scientific calculations?</h2><p>No, the height is not always necessary in scientific calculations. It depends on the specific problem and the variables involved. In some cases, the height may not be relevant at all, while in others it may be a crucial factor in finding a solution.</p>

FAQ: How Much Work to Stretch a Spring 4 cm from Equilibrium?

1. Do I need to know the height to solve this?

The answer to this question depends on the specific problem you are trying to solve. In some cases, knowing the height may be necessary to find a solution, while in others it may not be relevant at all.

2. Can I estimate the height instead of knowing the exact value?

Again, this depends on the problem. In some cases, an estimation of the height may be sufficient to find a solution. However, for more precise calculations, knowing the exact height may be necessary.

3. How can I determine the height if it is not given?

If the height is not given in the problem, you may need to use other information or equations to calculate it. This could involve using measurements of other variables, such as distance or time, to find the height.

4. What units should I use for the height?

The units for height will depend on the units used for other variables in the problem. It is important to use consistent units throughout your calculations to ensure accuracy.

5. Is the height always necessary in scientific calculations?

No, the height is not always necessary in scientific calculations. It depends on the specific problem and the variables involved. In some cases, the height may not be relevant at all, while in others it may be a crucial factor in finding a solution.