Do I need to take the Physics GRE for a Ph.D program if I have a Master's?

In summary, the speaker is finishing their master's degree in applied physics and is considering pursuing a Ph.D. They are unsure if they will need to take the Physics GRE, given their background in both physics and embedded software. They are advised to check with the schools they are interested in, but it is recommended to take the test regardless due to their master's level of knowledge.
loto
Hi all,

So, I'm finishing up my master's degree in applied physics (not much different from a master's in physics if you choose your courses correctly) and am looking into Ph.D programs. One thing I haven't seen much information about is the requirements if you are coming into the program with a master's, do most schools still require the Physics GRE in this case?

My undergrad is in physics and I've been working for the last few years doing embedded software while going to grad school if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to check with the school. Required or not, I would take the test. You've got a masters - won't you do well?

1. Do all Ph.D programs require the Physics GRE for applicants with a Master's degree?

No, not all Ph.D programs require the Physics GRE for applicants with a Master's degree. Some programs may have other requirements, such as relevant coursework or research experience, while others may not require the Physics GRE at all.

2. Is it beneficial to take the Physics GRE even if it is not required for my desired Ph.D program?

In most cases, it is beneficial to take the Physics GRE even if it is not required for your desired Ph.D program. This can demonstrate your knowledge and proficiency in physics, and may strengthen your application to the program.

3. How does the Physics GRE score impact my chances of being accepted into a Ph.D program?

The impact of the Physics GRE score on your chances of being accepted into a Ph.D program varies among different programs. Some programs may place a strong emphasis on the score, while others may consider it as only one aspect of your application.

4. Can I retake the Physics GRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the Physics GRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, it is important to check with your desired Ph.D program to see if they consider all of your scores or just the highest one.

5. Are there any exceptions for applicants who have a Master's degree in a related field and do not want to take the Physics GRE?

Some Ph.D programs may make exceptions for applicants who have a Master's degree in a related field and do not want to take the Physics GRE. This may vary among programs and it is important to check with the specific program's requirements.