Do ideal gases move at the same speed?

In summary, according to kinetic molecular theory, ideal gases have the same average kinetic energy but not necessarily the same speeds within a container. The speed of molecules at an instance is a wide range of speeds, which can vary depending on the type of gas and its mass. However, for a fixed kinetic energy, the corresponding particle speed may differ based on the mass of the gas.
Lori
I've learned that ideal gases have the same average kinetic energy, but this doesn't necessarily mean that they have the same speeds within a container..Instead, is it right to say that (according to kinetic molecular theory) that the speed of molecules at an instance is a wide range of speeds?

Physics news on Phys.org
upload_2017-12-13_22-53-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-13_22-53-59.png
    upload_2017-12-13_22-53-59.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 409
I moved the thread to our homework section.
Lori said:
I've learned that ideal gases have the same average kinetic energy, but this doesn't necessarily mean that they have the same speeds within a container
Right.
Lori said:
Instead, is it right to say that (according to kinetic molecular theory) that the speed of molecules at an instance is a wide range of speeds?
While that is correct, it is not an answer to the question about the average speed.

For a fixed kinetic energy, how can you find the corresponding particle speed? Does this depend on the type of gas?

mfb said:
I moved the thread to our homework section.Right.While that is correct, it is not an answer to the question about the average speed.

For a fixed kinetic energy, how can you find the corresponding particle speed? Does this depend on the type of gas?
i think it depends on the mass. The greater the mass , the slower the particle and vice versa. So, since kinetic energy is same in ideal gases, wouldn't the mass make no difference and so velocity is same?

Lori said:
The greater the mass , the slower the particle and vice versa.
Right.
Lori said:
So, since kinetic energy is same in ideal gases, wouldn't the mass make no difference and so velocity is same?
That directly contradicts what you figured out before.

mfb said:
Right.That directly contradicts what you figured out before.
oh i was just confused, cause i wasn't sure if ideal gasses would neglect mass. but nvmd, cause kinetic energy is the same which means that mass is involved

1. Do all ideal gases move at the same speed?

No, all ideal gases do not move at the same speed. According to the Kinetic Molecular Theory, the average speed of gas particles is directly proportional to the square root of their temperature. Therefore, gas particles with higher temperature will move faster than those with lower temperature.

2. Are there any exceptions to the rule that ideal gases move at the same speed?

Yes, there are exceptions to this rule. Ideal gases only follow this rule under specific conditions, such as low pressure and high temperature. At high pressure and low temperature, the gas particles may not have enough energy to move at the same speed. Additionally, real gases do not behave as ideal gases and can deviate from this rule.

3. Why do ideal gases move at the same speed?

Ideal gases move at the same speed because they have no intermolecular forces or attractions between particles. This allows them to move freely and randomly, resulting in an equal distribution of speeds among all gas particles.

4. Can ideal gases have different speeds in different directions?

Yes, ideal gases can have different speeds in different directions. According to the Kinetic Molecular Theory, gas particles move in random, straight-line motion. This means that they can have different speeds in different directions, as long as their average speed remains the same.

5. Is the speed of ideal gases affected by the volume of the container?

Yes, the speed of ideal gases can be affected by the volume of the container. In a smaller container, gas particles will collide with the walls more frequently, resulting in a higher average speed. In a larger container, gas particles will have more space to move around, resulting in a lower average speed. Therefore, the volume of the container can indirectly affect the speed of gas particles.