Do internodes break in runners?

• Thread starter gracy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Break
In summary, runners are stems that grow horizontally above the ground. They have nodes where buds are formed. These buds grow into a new plant. If the internodes break, the new plants will be perfectly able to survive independently of the original plant as it will have all the necessary components (e.g. is own root system) to do so.
gracy
Runners are stems that grow horizontally above the ground. They have nodes where buds are formed. These buds grow into a new plant.
image002.gif

The thing I want to ask is does internode break?In a video I have seen internodes break and then the new plant lives independently ,is it right?Do internodes really break?

Biology news on Phys.org
If the internodes break, the new plants will be perfectly able to survive independently of the original plant as it will have all the necessary components (e.g. is own root system) to do so.

Likes gracy
And if internodes do not break?

Then the plant can still grow fine. After the bud establishes is own root system, I'd suspect the plants will be fine whether the internodes are intact or broken.

Likes gracy
I have found out that sub aerial stems develop from lower branches of stem are called stolon while side stem which grows out from bud at the base of the main stem is called runner.stolon grows obliquely downward while runners (sub aerial stem)creep horizontally on the soil.Stolon has adventitious root .I don't know about runners whether they have true or adventitious roots.
Is it correct?

Adventitious literally means out of place. This is purely for us humans - the plant is doing just fine, thank you, because it evolved to reproduce vegetatively and well as sexually. You can create adventitious roots at home by cutting an herb stem with a few leaves on it off, and placing the cut-off piece into a glass of water. This is called rooting.

You can induce rooting with stolons or with runners by burying them or cutting them off from the parent and doing the glass of water trick.

So they really are very similar. Plant anatomy has a slightly different viewpoint. It deals with the origin - the tissues from which a structure developed - of structures like stolons and runners. If I recall correctly - stolons arise from the cambium in the stem, and runners arise from axillary buds (or the meristem in the bud, more correctly).

The point is the what differentiates them not what they look like, or whether they have roots. but where they arise. Either can create roots - either can break off from the parent to form an independent plant. Sometimes this feature kinda runs amok and you get dangling "babies" Chlorophytum - spider plant:

Sorry about the advertisement - this is the only one I could find showing "babies":
http://www.joann.com/28in-spider-plant/7856081.html?mkwid=x0sHCDie|dc&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+Home+Decor&CS_003=12310478&CS_010=[ProductId]&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9JuuBRC2xPG59dbzkpIBEiQAzv4-G_cIIulLf_SfdrNOV2oNbNaFsnlkcpBH4IfjeZC-F18aAv-U8P8HAQ
Chlorophytum:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorophytum_comosum

So this plant has a kind-of "stolon-runner" which does not fit the definition about stolons having roots.

Actually these definitions are great for starters but, darn it, plants in the real world cannot read Botany books. So they do all kinds of weird things.

Last edited:
Likes gracy
You wrote a lot.Congrats that paid off. I actually understood !:smile:

Related to Do internodes break in runners?

1. Do all internodes break in runners?

No, not all internodes break in runners. The breaking of internodes in runners depends on various factors such as the species of plant, environmental conditions, and growth stage of the runner.

2. What causes internodes to break in runners?

Internodes in runners typically break due to physical stress on the plant, such as strong winds, heavy rain, or animal disturbance. They can also break due to nutrient deficiencies or diseases.

3. Can the breaking of internodes in runners be prevented?

While it is not possible to prevent all cases of internode breakage in runners, there are certain measures that can be taken to reduce the likelihood of it occurring. These include providing support structures, ensuring proper nutrition for the plants, and protecting them from extreme weather conditions.

4. What is the impact of internode breakage in runners on plant growth?

The impact of internode breakage in runners on plant growth can vary depending on the severity and frequency of the breakage. In some cases, it can lead to stunted growth or reduced yield, while in others, the plant may be able to compensate for the loss of internodes and continue to grow normally.

5. Do internode breaks in runners affect the reproduction of plants?

Internode breaks in runners can affect the reproduction of plants, as it can disrupt the flow of nutrients and hormones within the plant, which are necessary for flower and fruit development. However, this may not always be the case and can vary depending on the plant species and severity of the breakage.