Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do internodes break in runners?

1. Aug 7, 2015 #1
    Runners are stems that grow horizontally above the ground. They have nodes where buds are formed. These buds grow into a new plant.
    image002.gif
    The thing I want to ask is does internode break?In a video I have seen internodes break and then the new plant lives independently ,is it right?Do internodes really break?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2015 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

If the internodes break, the new plants will be perfectly able to survive independently of the original plant as it will have all the necessary components (e.g. is own root system) to do so.

4. Aug 7, 2015 #3
    And if internodes do not break?

5. Aug 7, 2015 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Then the plant can still grow fine. After the bud establishes is own root system, I'd suspect the plants will be fine whether the internodes are intact or broken.

6. Aug 7, 2015 #5
  7. Aug 7, 2015 #6

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

According to wikipedia, runners and stolons are the same thing.

8. Aug 8, 2015 #7
    I have found out that sub aerial stems develop from lower branches of stem are called stolon while side stem which grows out from bud at the base of the main stem is called runner.stolon grows obliquely downward while runners (sub aerial stem)creep horizontally on the soil.Stolon has adventitious root .I don't know about runners whether they have true or adventitious roots.
    Is it correct?

9. Aug 9, 2015 #8

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Adventitious literally means out of place. This is purely for us humans - the plant is doing just fine, thank you, because it evolved to reproduce vegetatively and well as sexually. You can create adventitious roots at home by cutting an herb stem with a few leaves on it off, and placing the cut-off piece into a glass of water. This is called rooting.

You can induce rooting with stolons or with runners by burying them or cutting them off from the parent and doing the glass of water trick.

So they really are very similar. Plant anatomy has a slightly different viewpoint. It deals with the origin - the tissues from which a structure developed - of structures like stolons and runners. If I recall correctly - stolons arise from the cambium in the stem, and runners arise from axillary buds (or the meristem in the bud, more correctly).

The point is the what differentiates them not what they look like, or whether they have roots. but where they arise. Either can create roots - either can break off from the parent to form an independent plant. Sometimes this feature kinda runs amok and you get dangling "babies" Chlorophytum - spider plant:

Sorry about the advertisement - this is the only one I could find showing "babies":
    http://www.joann.com/28in-spider-plant/7856081.html?mkwid=x0sHCDie|dc&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+Home+Decor&CS_003=12310478&CS_010=[ProductId]&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9JuuBRC2xPG59dbzkpIBEiQAzv4-G_cIIulLf_SfdrNOV2oNbNaFsnlkcpBH4IfjeZC-F18aAv-U8P8HAQ
    Chlorophytum:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorophytum_comosum

So this plant has a kind-of "stolon-runner" which does not fit the definition about stolons having roots.

Actually these definitions are great for starters but, darn it, plants in the real world cannot read Botany books. So they do all kinds of weird things.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  10. Aug 9, 2015 #9
    You wrote a lot.Congrats that paid off. I actually understood !:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook