Do magnets lose strength by pulling them apart?

In summary, when a space rock flies past a planet, the planet's gravity causes the space rock to speed up and curve towards the planet.
YoungPhysicist
Insights Author
When two magnets already sticked to each other being pulled apart, energy is applied, so I assume that the energy is stored like some sort of potential energy which will be turned back into kinetic energy when they accelerate towards each other to stick back together. So the magnet itself doesn't lose or gain anything.

But few days ago,I found that when I toss a smaller magnet pass a larger magnet with the correct speed, distance and angle, the path of the smaller magnet will be curved by the larger one but not actually colliding into it. The event itself must have used energy, right? So where did the energy come from? Does that mean the larger magnet is actually spending its own energy,or I'm wrong at the very beginning?

Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
Young physicist said:
The event itself must have used energy, right? So where did the energy come from?
Changing the angle at which something travels does not necessarily use energy. A force applied at right angles to the direction of motion does no work because there is no motion in the direction of the applied force.

However, it is true that a bit of energy is lost when conductive magnets pass by one another. The changing magnetic fields induce eddy currents in each other. The energy for this comes from the person that tossed the magnets past one another. [It is, more or less, the same effect that is used in electric generators].

Likes YoungPhysicist
The reason why no work is being done is that the magnet PULLS the other magnet towards it and not away from it. Is that correct?

Young physicist said:
...but not actually colliding into it.
Why do you think this would make any difference compared to your first paragraph? If it speeds up by getting closer, it trades PE for KE, and in reverse when it passed the closest approach.

Likes YoungPhysicist
Young physicist said:
When two magnets already sticked to each other being pulled apart, energy is applied, so I assume that the energy is stored like some sort of potential energy which will be turned back into kinetic energy when they accelerate towards each other to stick back together. So the magnet itself doesn't lose or gain anything.

Correct.

But few days ago,I found that when I toss a smaller magnet pass a larger magnet with the correct speed, distance and angle, the path of the smaller magnet will be curved by the larger one but not actually colliding into it. The event itself must have used energy, right? So where did the energy come from? Does that mean the larger magnet is actually spending its own energy,or I'm wrong at the very beginning?

See paragraph 1!

By curving towards the large magnet it gets closer than it was. So one of the magnetic potential energy is used up.Consider this paragraph...

When two masses already sticked to each other by gravity being pulled apart, energy is applied, so I assume that the energy is stored like some sort of potential energy which will be turned back into kinetic energy when they accelerate towards each other to stick back together. So the mass itself doesn't lose or gain anything.

Look familiar?

What happens when a space rock flies past a planet?

1. Can magnets lose strength by pulling them apart?

Yes, magnets can lose strength when they are pulled apart. This process is known as demagnetization and it occurs because pulling the magnets apart disrupts the alignment of their magnetic domains.

2. How much strength do magnets lose by pulling them apart?

The amount of strength that magnets lose by pulling them apart varies depending on factors such as the strength of the magnets and the force used to pull them apart. Generally, the stronger and more tightly bound the magnetic domains are, the less strength will be lost.

3. Do magnets lose strength over time even if they are not pulled apart?

Yes, magnets can lose strength over time even if they are not pulled apart. This is known as natural demagnetization and it occurs due to factors such as exposure to heat, strong magnetic fields, or physical damage.

4. Is there a way to prevent magnets from losing strength when pulling them apart?

To prevent magnets from losing strength when pulling them apart, it is important to use caution and avoid using excessive force. It is also helpful to keep the magnets as close together as possible during the pulling process to minimize the disruption of their magnetic domains.

5. Can magnets regain their strength after being pulled apart?

In some cases, magnets can regain some of their strength after being pulled apart. This is known as magnetic re-magnetization and it can occur when the magnets are re-aligned in a strong magnetic field or when they are heated to a certain temperature. However, the strength regained may not be the same as the original strength.