Do molecules and atoms really exist?

• Thread starter Yegor
  • Start date
In summary, the existence of molecules and atoms has been proven through various scientific experiments and discoveries, such as Brownian motion and electron microscopy. Even though there were doubts in the past, the evidence is now overwhelming and widely accepted in the scientific community.
Yegor
How we can proove, that molecules and atoms really exist?
As I know in the beginning of 20th century Boltzman commited suicide, because couldn't proove existence of molecules. How we can proove this statement for a kid, for example. Can we solve this problem without Mathematics and diffisult experiments?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ludwig Boltzmann (sic) is said to have commited suicide because nobody accepted his theory of (non)equilibrium statistical mechanics,especially the H (or "ita") theorem,the equation and the consequences.As Josiah Willard Gibbs proved it,everything Boltzmann did was perfectly correct (except the suicide part :-p),even though Henri Poincaré's theorem would invalidate it,even at classical level...

Boltzmann is the first god of theoretical physics.

Daniel.

Does anybody believe that molecules exist? Are You sure? Why?

Actually, Albert Einstein was given the Nobel prize for his paper on Brownian Motion (NOT specifically for his papers on relativity that were published the same year) largely becase it gave the first convincing proof that molecules exist.

I might point out that molecules have now been actually photographed, using electron microscopes- that's pretty convincing proof! (Unless, of course, you don't accept that electron microscopes exist!)

Of course I accept existence of molecules, electron microscopes etc.
Just my Physics lecturer frequently asks us how we can proof this existence. He just want to make us think. I was really surprised that just 100 years ago it wasn't so obviously. We also meant Brownian Motion, and it was single thing he accepted as a proof. May be there is any other simple proof?! May be chemical reactions? Is it really not very simple question?

When I encountered internet message boards for the first time, I encountered crackpots for the first time. The first crackpot I met did not believe in the existence of anything below the structure of the atom. Since then, I became interested in accumulating evidentiary statements of the existence of nuclei, electrons, etc..., besides the tracks left in particle accelerators.

Anyway, here's one of the things I turned up:

http://www.Newton.dep.anl.gov/Newton/askasci/1993/chem/CHEM043.HTM

Related to Do molecules and atoms really exist?

1. What is an Almost Philosophic Question?

An Almost Philosophic Question is a thought-provoking query that may not necessarily have a definitive answer or may not have been extensively studied by philosophers. It often sparks contemplation and discussion about abstract concepts and ideas, but does not necessarily fall under the traditional realm of philosophy.

2. How is an Almost Philosophic Question different from a Philosophic Question?

An Almost Philosophic Question differs from a Philosophic Question in that it may not have a definitive answer or may not have been extensively studied by philosophers. It also tends to be more abstract and thought-provoking rather than being grounded in established philosophical theories or principles.

3. Can an Almost Philosophic Question be answered?

While there may not be a clear-cut answer to an Almost Philosophic Question, it can still be explored and discussed in depth. The process of contemplating and discussing these questions can lead to new insights and perspectives, even if a definitive answer is not reached.

4. What are some examples of Almost Philosophic Questions?

Examples of Almost Philosophic Questions may include: "What is the meaning of life?", "Is there such a thing as free will?", or "What is the nature of reality?". These questions often deal with abstract concepts and can spark deep contemplation and discussion.

5. How can pondering Almost Philosophic Questions benefit us?

Pondering Almost Philosophic Questions can help exercise our critical thinking skills and expand our perspectives. It can also lead to personal growth and a deeper understanding of our own beliefs and values. Additionally, discussing these questions with others can foster meaningful conversations and connections.