Do Other Cultures Have a Ghost Month Similar to the Chinese Ghost Festival?

• Thread starter lucas_
  • Start date
In summary: Chinese dates are based on the lunar cycle, which is why they vary. The Chinese calendar is luni-solar and keeps pace with the seasons because it adds a leap month when necessary.
lucas_
Today (or tomorrow) depending on your time zone is ghost month day. Here is what it is:

http://www.holidayscalendar.com/event/ghost-festival/"Ghost Festival Celebrated by Buddhists and Taoists all over Asia, the Ghost Festival is a holiday that is celebrated on the fifteenth day of the seventh month in the Chinese calendar. It is believed that on this day the gates of hell are opened and the dead are allowed to walk the Earth in search for food."

Ramadan also occurs around this time. I'd like to know if your tradition has similar superstition around this time?

Where do you think all these originated? The source of the myths and legends? In the US and Europe, do you have ghost month too? What month is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
lucas_ said:
Ramadan also occurs around this time.

Ramadan ended 2-1/2 months ago. If you allow +/- 2.5 months, half the year falls into this category.

Likes russ_watters
This thread is spooky. I'm getting freaked out. Is this related to the time travel thread that we just deleted tomorrow? o0)

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, Wrichik Basu, Bystander and 3 others
lucas_ said:
In the US and Europe, do you have ghost month too? What month is it?

We have halloween on October 31st.

I'm curious, did (or does) anyone here from Europe\North America ever observe halloween like a religious holiday? I don't recall anyone ever celebrating this as anything other than a candy grab or party excuse.

DavidSnider said:
I'm curious, did (or does) anyone here from Europe\North America ever observe halloween like a religious holiday? I don't recall anyone ever celebrating this as anything other than a candy grab or party excuse.
All Hallow's Eve (the evening before All Saints Day) started out as a religious observance, but no longer is.

berkeman said:
This thread is spooky. I'm getting freaked out. Is this related to the time travel thread that we just deleted tomorrow? o0)
Not yet, but it will be.

• Haha
Likes berkeman and phinds
lucas_ said:
Ramadan also occurs around this time.
Ramadan is a lunar month that's part of a 12-month lunar year, and therefore drifts through the seasons, earlier each time. The Chinese calendar is luni-solar and keeps pace with the seasons because it adds a leap month when necessary. They cannot be compared.

Why are Chinese dates so different from the 365 calendar? for example, their new year is around February or vary. Which is more accurate or really indicate of the Earth position around the sun?

lucas_ said:
Which is more accurate or really indicate of the Earth position around the sun?

Huh? The sun is where it is on a given date, no matter what word you use to identify that date.

1. What is the Chinese Ghost Festival?

The Chinese Ghost Festival, also known as the Hungry Ghost Festival, is a traditional Chinese festival held on the 15th day of the seventh lunar month. It is believed that the gates of the underworld open during this time, allowing spirits to return to the living world.

2. Do other cultures have a similar festival?

Yes, many other cultures have similar festivals that honor and remember the deceased. For example, in Japan, the Obon Festival is celebrated to welcome back the spirits of ancestors. In Mexico, the Day of the Dead is a holiday to remember and honor loved ones who have passed away.

3. Is there a specific month or time when this festival is celebrated?

The Chinese Ghost Festival is typically celebrated in the seventh lunar month, but the specific date may vary depending on the lunar calendar. Other cultures may have different dates for their festivals, but they are usually held during the summer or fall months.

4. What are some common traditions or rituals during this festival?

Some common traditions during the Chinese Ghost Festival include burning incense and offering food to the spirits, as well as setting up altars and making paper offerings. Other cultures may have similar traditions, such as making offerings of food and flowers or visiting the graves of loved ones.

5. Is the purpose of the festival the same in all cultures?

The overall purpose of the festival is to honor and remember the deceased, but the specific beliefs and customs may vary among cultures. Some may also see it as a time to pay respects to ancestors and seek forgiveness for any wrongdoings. Others may view it as a time to celebrate and remember the lives of loved ones who have passed away.