What Is a Composite Number With No Co-Prime Factors?

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a class of composite numbers that have no co-prime factors. The person asking the question believes that prime power numbers may be the answer, but the other person suggests looking at sequence A246655 in OEIS and stripping out all the primes to find the desired set. The person asking the question believes this is a promising approach due to the power laws observed in fractals.
Ventrella
I have come across a question in my explorations of recursive tilings using Gaussian and Eisenstein Integers. It seems there might be a class of composite numbers which have no factors (divisors) that are co-prime. So, for instance: 10 is composite, but its factors (2 and 5) are co-prime. The same is true for 6 and 12. However, 4, 8, 9, 16, 25 do not have factors which are co-prime. (I am including composite numbers with only one factor in this list). These are then examples of the class of numbers I am looking to identify.

Without going into the details and reasoning for asking this question (unless it helps in finding the answer), I am initially curious if such a class of composites have been identified, and if so, perhaps there may be some significance that can shed some light on my problem.

Any insights, thoughts?

Thanks!
-Jeffrey

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thanks Stephen,

I think your suggestion is helping me to converge on the answer, although I clearly said that I am looking at composite numbers only. However I think that if I take the series pointed out (sequence A246655 in OEIS), and strip out all the primes, I will have the set I am looking for :)

My intuition tells me that this is right because fractals (as I am exploring them with tilings in lattices) obey power laws.

Thanks!
-j

1. What is a composite number with no co-prime factors?

A composite number with no co-prime factors is a positive integer that can be divided by at least one other positive integer (besides 1) without leaving a remainder. This means that the number has factors other than 1 and itself, which are called co-prime factors because they do not have any common factors.

2. How can you determine if a number is a composite number with no co-prime factors?

To determine if a number is a composite number with no co-prime factors, you can perform a prime factorization of the number. If the number has more than two factors, it is a composite number. If all of its factors are co-prime, meaning they do not have any common factors, then it is a composite number with no co-prime factors.

3. What are some examples of composite numbers with no co-prime factors?

Examples of composite numbers with no co-prime factors include 6, 10, 15, 21, and 28. These numbers can be divided by at least one other number without leaving a remainder, and all their factors are co-prime.

4. Can a prime number be a composite number with no co-prime factors?

No, a prime number cannot be a composite number with no co-prime factors. Prime numbers only have two factors, 1 and itself, and both of these factors are co-prime. Therefore, a prime number cannot have any other co-prime factors.

5. Why is it important to understand composite numbers with no co-prime factors?

Understanding composite numbers with no co-prime factors is important in many fields of mathematics, such as number theory and cryptography. These numbers have unique properties and play a crucial role in prime factorization, which is used in various mathematical algorithms and encryption methods. Additionally, understanding these numbers can help in determining the factors of a number and identifying patterns in numbers.