Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do Professionals Do Drugs?

1. Oct 23, 2012 #1
    Hey guys,

I'm sure the thread title sparked an interest in some of you and may seem bizarre to others. I began to smoke marijuana at the age of 17 (I'm 19 now), and I must say that I do enjoy smoking and the camaraderie that accompanies it. Now I've never done any other drugs but the use of marijuana has differently encouraged me to want to experiment with other drugs and also do plenty of research on other drugs. I also have to mention that after watching movies such as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I've been tempted to replicate their lifestyle. I still firmly believe in getting an education and striving to be a great Engineer. Now besides the drug tests that can set back your career, do you guys think that it's okay to enjoy doing drugs as a professional? I'm currently a Mechanical Engineering student hoping to one day be an Imagineer for the Walt Disney World Resort, and sometimes feel out of place because I smoke marijuana.

Any insight on this topic?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2012 #2
    Not if they have an ounce of sense.

Grow up and quit doing drugs already.

You're like a piano player who amuses himself by doing Bishop's knife trick in Aliens. Not smart.

4. Oct 23, 2012 #3
    I have always said I would be a hardcore drug fiend when I turn about 80. But I am neither a professional nor a person that does drugs now.

Once you're past 70, just let yourself go.

5. Oct 23, 2012 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

None of the scientists I've ever known well use illegal drugs (or they didn't feel comfortable sharing that info).

Alcohol - yes, I'd say about 50% drink.

I only remember one who was a smoker, as well.

6. Oct 23, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No. Please stop using drugs.

7. Oct 23, 2012 #6
    What principles do you stand by?

8. Oct 23, 2012 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, we don't allow threads where people discuss doing illegal drugs. Someone could recognize you and destroy your career. It's always stupid to admit to illegal activities on the internet.

9. Oct 23, 2012 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Quit now, and quit smoking.

If one wishes to be an engineer, doing drugs or otherwise engaging in illegal activities are contrary to that goal.

In many professions, there is a requirement for 'fitness of duty,' in addition to a requirement for ethical conduct. Engineering is one of those professions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook