Do Professionals Do Drugs?

• Thread starter ralfsk8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drugs
In summary: If you're not able to meet those qualifications while using drugs or any other illegal activities, then you may not be able to meet the qualifications for the profession.
ralfsk8
Hey guys,

I'm sure the thread title sparked an interest in some of you and may seem bizarre to others. I began to smoke marijuana at the age of 17 (I'm 19 now), and I must say that I do enjoy smoking and the camaraderie that accompanies it. Now I've never done any other drugs but the use of marijuana has differently encouraged me to want to experiment with other drugs and also do plenty of research on other drugs. I also have to mention that after watching movies such as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I've been tempted to replicate their lifestyle. I still firmly believe in getting an education and striving to be a great Engineer. Now besides the drug tests that can set back your career, do you guys think that it's okay to enjoy doing drugs as a professional? I'm currently a Mechanical Engineering student hoping to one day be an Imagineer for the Walt Disney World Resort, and sometimes feel out of place because I smoke marijuana.

Any insight on this topic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not if they have an ounce of sense.

Grow up and quit doing drugs already.

You're like a piano player who amuses himself by doing Bishop's knife trick in Aliens. Not smart.

I have always said I would be a hardcore drug fiend when I turn about 80. But I am neither a professional nor a person that does drugs now.

Once you're past 70, just let yourself go.

None of the scientists I've ever known well use illegal drugs (or they didn't feel comfortable sharing that info).

Alcohol - yes, I'd say about 50% drink.

I only remember one who was a smoker, as well.

ralfsk8 said:
Now besides the drug tests that can set back your career, do you guys think that it's okay to enjoy doing drugs as a professional?

No. Please stop using drugs.

I also have to mention that after watching movies such as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I've been tempted to replicate their lifestyle.

What principles do you stand by?

ralfsk8 said:
Hey guys,

I'm sure the thread title sparked an interest in some of you and may seem bizarre to others. I began to smoke marijuana at the age of 17 (I'm 19 now), and I must say that I do enjoy smoking and the camaraderie that accompanies it. Now I've never done any other drugs but the use of marijuana has differently encouraged me to want to experiment with other drugs and also do plenty of research on other drugs. I also have to mention that after watching movies such as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I've been tempted to replicate their lifestyle. I still firmly believe in getting an education and striving to be a great Engineer. Now besides the drug tests that can set back your career, do you guys think that it's okay to enjoy doing drugs as a professional? I'm currently a Mechanical Engineering student hoping to one day be an Imagineer for the Walt Disney World Resort, and sometimes feel out of place because I smoke marijuana.

Sorry, we don't allow threads where people discuss doing illegal drugs. Someone could recognize you and destroy your career. It's always stupid to admit to illegal activities on the internet.

ralfsk8 said:
Hey guys,

Quit now, and quit smoking.

If one wishes to be an engineer, doing drugs or otherwise engaging in illegal activities are contrary to that goal.

In many professions, there is a requirement for 'fitness of duty,' in addition to a requirement for ethical conduct. Engineering is one of those professions.

1. Do professionals in specific fields use drugs?

There is no definitive answer to this question as professionals in various fields may have different attitudes and behaviors towards drug use. Some studies suggest that certain professionals, such as lawyers and medical professionals, have higher rates of substance abuse compared to other professions. However, it ultimately depends on the individual and their personal choices.

2. Is drug use common among professionals?

Again, there is no one answer to this question as it varies depending on the profession and individual. Some studies suggest that certain professions have higher rates of drug use, but this does not mean that drug use is common among all professionals. Additionally, many professionals may be able to successfully hide their drug use, making it difficult to determine the true prevalence.

3. Does using drugs affect a professional's work performance?

Drug use can potentially impact a professional's work performance, but it ultimately depends on the individual and the drug being used. Some drugs may impair cognitive function and decision making, which can affect job performance. However, some professionals may be able to function normally while using drugs, making it challenging to make a general statement about the impact of drug use on work performance.

4. Are there consequences for professionals who use drugs?

The consequences for professionals who use drugs can vary depending on their specific profession and any laws or regulations in place. In some cases, drug use may lead to job loss, legal repercussions, or damage to one's reputation. It is important for professionals to be aware of their workplace's policies and the potential consequences of drug use.

5. Can professionals who use drugs seek help?

Yes, professionals who use drugs can seek help for their substance use. Many workplaces have resources available for employees struggling with drug abuse, such as employee assistance programs. In addition, there are various treatment options available, such as therapy and support groups, that professionals can utilize to address their drug use and work towards recovery.