Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do the admins know that LaTeX ain't working?

1. Aug 20, 2006 #1

rbj

here's a test:

[tex] \mbox{erf}(x) \equiv \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^x e^{-t^2} dt [/tex]

if this shows up in the "red letter edition", i hope the good folks making this forum happen can take notice.

if the LaTeX math shows up okay, then the problem is very, very weird because a post of mine simply in the Classical Physics forum will not display the TeX.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2006 #2
    yet another test...

[tex] \int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx [/tex]

EDIT: Doesn't work for me either. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2006
  4. Aug 20, 2006 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]\LaTeX[/tex] should be back in business. We had just forgotten to install some non-standard TeX packages on the server.

- Warren

5. Aug 20, 2006 #4

rbj

another test:

[tex] \mbox{erf}(x) \equiv \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^x e^{-t^2} dt [/tex]

EDIT: okay it works. why is it that the old posts that were posted when LaTeX was not working still do not show the math? it's the same source. does it interpret the source only once when posted and not ever again?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  6. Aug 20, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it generates the images from the source when it's posted. See if clicking "edit" regenerates the LaTex when you save it (I don't think you actually have to edit anything, just go into the edit window).

7. Aug 21, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Indeed, the images are generated only once, when the latex is posted. Afterward, they are simply displayed as inline images in the posts.

You might even notice that posting takes a second or two longer than normal when the post contains a lot of latex.

- Warren

8. Aug 21, 2006 #7
    Hey, Integral, what did you do to my post to make the Latex work? Did I goof up the tags? I actually did as Moonbear said, but it was still the red-coloured message.

9. Aug 21, 2006 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting.~^

I edited a couple of messages to see if I could get LaTex to work. All I ever saw was the red error text! So I am not sure what happened!

10. Aug 21, 2006 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Keep in mind that many browsers try to cache the old version of the image, even after you've created a new one by editing your post.

Come to think of it, there's a quick workaround for this (which will, um, probably work) that I should investigate...

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?