Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do we live in Past as well as Future at the same time?

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

According to laws of science, a very heavy body (having a lot of mass) slows time due to its gravitation. So, near Earth time is moving slow in comparison to things that are at a distance from it. Now, only for philosophical purpose I want to contend that our feet are in a different time as compared to our head ( i know that the difference would be infinitely small and impossible to measure, even after great scientific advancement). So, do we simultaneously live in past as well as future?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2
    I would say that different parts of our body experience the passage of time differently, rather than saying that one part is in the past and one part is in the future. However, you could say that different parts of our body experience a different present, since simultaneity is relative.

4. Aug 21, 2011 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This doesn't meet our criteria for starting a thread in this forum. Please read the rules (both sets).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook