1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you answer every problem in textbooks?

1. Jan 21, 2014 #1
    When trying to learn/review by using textbooks? do you usually answer everything or you just answer till you think you understand well enough?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2014 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

There isn't enough time in the world to answer every single problem you find in a textbook. Generally, I just answer a few from each section than direct my study depending on which areas need more work. After that, I move to the challenge problems.

How many you should do from each section depends on how long the problems take, how well you know the material, etc.

4. Jan 21, 2014 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

If this is a graduate level textbook or advanced undergraduate level textbook then yes (with the exception of Jackson and MTW). If it's a lower division textbook then there are way too many problems on average to even attempt solving them all; in such a case I just try to solve the hardest ones.

5. Jan 21, 2014 #4
    Ok thanks for the advice. I was trying to review the fundamentals of physics(because I haven't done any physics in a year) through University Physics by young and freedman and I got "I know how to solve this but should answer anyway just in case" and this became a cycle but I thought that maybe I would miss something important if I don't solve everything. Thanks guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook