Do you believe in classical, Newton, mechanics?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the acceptance of different scientific theories and the role of belief in science. The participants discuss the concepts of quantum mechanics and Newtonian mechanics, with one person questioning if it is possible to doubt one and accept the other. They also mention Einstein's theories of relativity and the existence of the graviton particle. The conversation also delves into the idea of belief and its role in science, with one person arguing that beliefs are necessary for creativity. The conversation ends with a discussion about Archimedes and his contributions to physics.
arivero
Gold Member
I wonder, is there out someone disbelieving quantum mechanics but accepting the concepts and statements of Newtonian mechanics? I would like to hear such standpoints.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics and science in general is based on observation and theories developed from these observations. Unlike religion, belief has nothing to do with it. Newtonian mechanics works most of the time and is very useful. However, there are extreme cases where it doesn't work. That is why physicists (Einstein, et al) needed other theories (quantum, relativity) to account for these situations.

Don't forget that Newton had no idea how gravity worked. It was not until einstein with his spacetime "web" or "grid" did anyone really understand how gravity worked.

And now...
M-theory says that there is a particle called a gravitron that is responsible for gravity.

Newtonian mechanics postulates the existence of instantaneus velocity and momentum, for an example.

(ah, the graviton idea was previous to M-theory)

The word believe does not effectively describe my attitude towards any scientific hypothesis or theory, period.

I vote to toss that graviton thingy, warped spacetime is much more pleasing.
Just thinking about all those particles flying between the planets ...

Locrian said:
The word believe does not effectively describe my attitude towards any scientific hypothesis or theory, period.
What about "Do you accept the axioms of...?", or perhaps
"After examination of the empirical evidence, I tend to agree/disagree with the postulates of...?"

Physics and science in general is based on observation and theories developed from these observations. Unlike religion, belief has nothing to do with it.

Everyone has beliefs be they about science or anything else because no one knows anything with 100% certainty. The root of all creativity comes from beliefs and creativity has a lot to do with physics. Just lighten up people, you're not going to look illogical or like a zealot for using the word "believe."

Anyways I have my quarrels with all of them but I wouldn't really dismiss any of them as completely wrong.

I voted against Newton.
I even have a page on it here:
http://www.geocities.com/dedaNoe/aanm.htm
I cannot accesss my page. I don't know why is that. Geocities simply requires me to preregister??
unfortunately, nobody gives a damn.

Every Newton's law is only partial interpretation of the law of lever.
I just think Archimedes does physics better than Newton.
In fact Archimedes is the 1st ever physicist.
Despite that the lever is never mentioned in the educational process.

Last edited:
Entropy said:
Everyone has beliefs be they about science or anything else because no one knows anything with 100% certainty.
Hmm, nobody has a vocabulary coinciding 100%, in all the semantic flavourings, with other person. But does that imply that vocabulary, that each word, is a belief?

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a scientific theory that describes the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It was first developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and is based on three laws of motion.

2. How does classical mechanics differ from other theories?

Classical mechanics differs from other theories, such as quantum mechanics, in that it is based on the assumption that objects move in a predictable and deterministic way. This means that given the initial conditions of a system, the future behavior of the system can be accurately predicted.

3. Why is classical mechanics still important in modern science?

Despite being developed centuries ago, classical mechanics is still an important and widely used theory in modern science. It forms the basis of many engineering and technological applications, and is also used in fields such as astrophysics and biomechanics.

4. How does classical mechanics apply to everyday life?

Classical mechanics can be seen in many everyday activities, such as driving a car, throwing a ball, or even walking. It helps to explain the motion of objects and how forces affect their movement.

5. Are there any limitations to classical mechanics?

While classical mechanics is a highly accurate and useful theory, it does have its limitations. It does not account for the behavior of very small particles or objects moving at very high speeds, and it also does not incorporate the effects of gravity on a quantum level.