What is the True Nature of Love?

• Thread starter michelle s
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of love and its existence in the universe. Some believe it is a chemical reaction in the brain, while others see it as a spiritual connection between souls. However, love is ultimately defined as an evolutionary trait that facilitates reproductive success and can also be found in animals. The discussion also touches on the idea of love being a social behavior and the impact of conscious actions on promoting love. Others share personal experiences with love and its meaning, but ultimately the conversation highlights the complexity and subjectivity of love and its existence in the universe.
pace said:
Generally there's too much litterature around me that defines Order as The Good thing.

LOL! I love that. Norway . . . heavy Germanic influence.

I think order is a Good thing unless it becomes all one focuses on, and then it becomes a Dominance thing or an Anal thing or a computer Nerdy thing. The question is, is order all there is to our existence?

Some say the flow between the ordered points have value, and in fact is what makes life for the conscious being enjoyable.

Wouldn't it be nice to find people who could appreciate both aspects? Typically one finds either someone so obsessed with order they talk like a robot, or someone so repulsed by order they are flakey.

Physics news on Phys.org
:biggrin: :redface:

It's not just germanic though, but also with religions. It also lies in early parts of the bible where order became from chaos in the begining. And even hinduism from what I've read.

I'm aiming for a smart lady. Someone that's passionate about her studies maybe :uhh:

pace said:
It's not just germanic though, but also with religions. It also lies in early parts of the bible where order became from chaos in the begining. And even hinduism from what I've read.

True. Actually, I think those ancient seers were onto something. Chaos is definitely not the general rule of creation. Order is what makes things possible along with whatever fundamental "stuff" that order is organizing. That's why I think the truth about reality lies in two aspects of the same thing. The "thing" is some basic existential "stuff" which is eternal, uncreated, indestructible. The "two sides" are, the organized thing and the unorganized thing.

pace said:
I'm aiming for a smart lady. Someone that's passionate about her studies maybe :uhh:

Ahhhhhh . . . romance. :blush: Well, in addition to being smart, my wife is tolerant (of me). Now there's a great quality to find in a mate.

System, either order or chaos. I think you need a balance, so I don't see either of them as more important. Some relgions define chaos as almost evil, which the way I see it is undermining chaos alot. Chaos and order is something that needs to correlate between each other to create.
Me and Kierkegaard needs to put some sense into the world I see. If I just could get into him someday. He was danish you know. He was very antisystematic though, "Philosophers should never be put into a philosophy history".
As I see it both Love and Thought there can't be too much off. But to define thought primarely as order I can't do.

Last edited:
pace said:
:biggrin: :redface:

You'd better aim for me then, fellow Norwegian! I'm very passionate about everything I study... :biggrin:

bola said:
olde drunk, your view on the universe is quite intriguing.

you seem to be pretty spiritual, but the big question is, do you feel the spiritual world also has effects on physical world? that these two are intrisically bound together?
i believe that our physical experience springs from the spiritual. our physical experience is a reflection of our spiritual state. i do not like words like progress because it implies that there is a heriarchy within the spiritual, which i strongly reject.

we all need to pass through many phases, spiritually, and i do not think that any phase is higher or lower than another.

lastly, we are multi-dimensional and all aspect work together to create and improve our experience. they are bound together because there is no separation of self. our unconscious can not operate alone any more than our physical body can operate without our spiritual aspects. to me, the unconscious is part of the spiritual.

through the years i have found that love is a much more potent emotion than it's counterpart. it just doesn't provide instant gratification. when i reach out in a loving way, i am always amazed at how many neat, pleasant events happen. sadly, when i am angry, and interact, all i get is negative reactions.

my experiences aren't laboratory proof of anything. but, in my laboratory of life, i have proved the value of love. yes, it has caused pain, mostly because of imaturity. that pain, however, proves that i did feel love.

love&peace,
olde drunk

pace said:
System, either order or chaos. I think you need a balance, so I don't see either of them as more important. Some relgions define chaos as almost evil, which the way I see it is undermining chaos alot. Chaos and order is something that needs to correlate between each other to create.
Me and Kierkegaard needs to put some sense into the world I see. If I just could get into him someday. He was danish you know. He was very antisystematic though, "Philosophers should never be put into a philosophy history".
As I see it both Love and Thought there can't be too much off. But to define thought primarely as order I can't do.

That sweet Kierkegaard was NORWEGIAN, laddy. He moved to Denmark and Denish-ed his name! You may say he is a part of our cultural pride! :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

Thallium said:
That sweet Kierkegaard was NORWEGIAN, laddy. He moved to Denmark and Denish-ed his name! You may say he is a part of our cultural pride! :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

http://www.webcom.com/kierke/bio/backgr.html
I'm afraid you're misinformed.
Danish and norwegian culture is of course very intertwined though. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Zantra said:
Do you believe food is tasty, or a means of sustenance ?

It is ultimately whatever you believe it to be. If you believe it to be a chemical reaction, then it will be nothing more than a biological function. If you believe it's something more, then you may find more joy in it. Since love is subjective, you only get out of it what you put into it.

To put it more plainly, it is both, and how you choose to view it determines it's true value.

Thank you this is very helpful :smile:

United States said:
Yes, the ability for a human brain to think scientifically is the result of the actual biology of brain.

Truth of the universe found in our genes? I am discussing human emotions, such as emotional attachment. The biological makeup of our brains enable us to think, to feel hunger, thirst, sexual drive, etc. Basic emotions like thirst, hunger, sexual drive, and fear are programmed in the medulla of the brain, as well as in other animals and the medulla is what we humans have in common with lower animals. The especially unique thing about humans is that we have a much bigger cerebral cortex allowing for behavior associated with a much higher IQ.

If our emotion are not the result of programms in our brains, then the only other answer is that some outside force is controlling are brains, such as supernatural force, and I am not inclined to entertain such ideas in the context of science. I am not saying that supernatural things don't exist, but rather that they should have no place in science.
that OUTSIDE SOURCE is you, your mind! the body and brain contain the chemicals, neurons, etc but, YOU are the one that creates the action.

why can't science absorb the non physical into it's world? more and more each day researchers are finding that we have powers that are well in excess of chance measurements.

most recently on Discovery - Science channel they showed an experiment where related people were separated. the reciever was put into a big bank type vault and rigged with several sensors. the sender was asked to view a slide show. the most intriguing effect was when the view saw food, the reciever had a reaction on the abdominal sensor. a 'gut feeling'?

it is easy for philosophy to embrace science, now it may be time for science to embrace the para normal. QT may be that bridge. perhaps it exists on the macro level, we just haven't looked for it.

love&peace,
olde drunk

Love may not be possesed, as much as pain may not be. Love frees pain purges, both work from opposite ends of the spectrum toward the same end. The result of these things is an understanding, this understanding goes beyond your skin. It is not the object that is the love, for the love resides within you around you. The person/object/etc.. that happens to free you is what you associate with the experience, but is it that object/person/etc..?

What is love?

baby don't hurt me.. no more..

Ya I beat you all to the punch:P

Anyhow, love is about sacrifice. Love is willingess to put the needs and wants of another person ahead of your own. That to me defines love in it's simplest terms.

People want to break love down into a biological function. They want to put it into a category that it can't fit into. round hole, square peg. You could argue that things like chocolate serve no purpose as there is no (scientifically proven) evidence that they contribute any nutritional value. Things like Art and music serve no function or purpose beyond their aesthetic value, so they should be discarded. Or at least that's what proponents of the biological standpoint are advocating. Love is an emotional response that can not, or at least should not be measure or broken down into scientific terms.

I agree with the earlier poster. Love is greater than the sum of it's parts.