Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you consider masturbation a sin?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
  2. No

12 vote(s)
  1. Jul 16, 2003 #1
    All those who think so raise your hand... well, that is after you wash it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2003 #2
    I think if there was any sin involed, it would have more to do with you're motives for doing it, i.e., what kind of mental imagery does it involve and what type of behavior are you trying to justify by doing it?
  4. Jul 17, 2003 #3
    who am I to say what is a sin and what isn't
  5. Jul 17, 2003 #4

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Entropy, I am starting to suspect you are a troublemaker, second only to Saint.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2003
  6. Jul 18, 2003 #5
    I'll bet that the three people who voted "yes" are either female or suffer from sexual dysfunction... or both.

7. Jul 18, 2003 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

entropy, i would suggest you edit your stereotyped comment towards females or i will do it for you
  8. Jul 19, 2003 #7
    My point is simply that ALL men masturbate or have at least masturbated.

From what I've read most women masturbate as well... something like 60%. But maybe that just means 40% are lying about it.

9. Jul 19, 2003 #8
    Yes, naturally, thinking that maybe they were maybe "married", and led "Spiritual lives", in their 'marriages', would simply be, what?? "honest and thoughtful", Oooooppps!
  10. Jul 19, 2003 #9
    Are you saying that married men don't masturbate?

11. Jul 19, 2003 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

just because a woman chooses not to masturbate doesn't mean she thinks it is sinful...
  12. Jul 20, 2003 #11
    How can something thats good for you be a sin?
  13. Jul 20, 2003 #12
    Probably in a similar manner to vitamin A, which, in large enough doses is lethal.

Sexual relations outside of marriage are considered a sort of Spiritual Breach of person.

See 'Morally Turpid' for better understandings of legalities in "Natural Moral Law".

Playing with your teeth with your fingers, if they are hurting, seems to feel good, but it is the best pathway to an infection possibly abcessing. (SP?)
  14. Jul 20, 2003 #13
    I once read an article that said that men who do not ejaculate at least once every two weeks are at a much higher risk of becoming impotent than those who do. So, a moderate amount of masturbation (if sexual intercourse is not available) is actually recommended by most urologists.

I predict that in the future, there will be a smaller percentage of men who suffer from the condition of impotence simply because people are becoming less submissive to traditional religious dogma as time progresses.

15. Jul 20, 2003 #14
    It is also supposed to help reduce the risk of getting prostate cancer.
  16. Jul 20, 2003 #15
    What about all the sperm that gets killed per ejaculation. Considering there is about 20-150 million of them per milliliter, thats a lot.
  17. Jul 20, 2003 #16

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i think most of today's (american at least) don't seem to think that masturbation is a sin...
  18. Jul 20, 2003 #17

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Well, if we are going to talk about this seriously, then the fact that someone might even consider masterbation a "sin" tell us a lot. Some fool, a long time ago, decided sex takes us away from God, and needed to be shamed. Big mistake.

Shaming a biological drive that cannot be suppressed without popping up morphed elsewhere almost always leads to some sort of dysfunctional situation.

Christianity can take much of the responsibility for this shaming in Western culture, and it still is quite strong both in fundamentalist doctrine, and among the population. Masterbation, my father told me, gives you pimples (after seeing one on my cheek).

So why would sex be associated with heading away from God (i.e., sin)? Well, the simple answer is that people do tend to get obsessed with what feels good, which is why there are addicts of all varieties. The thought was, I believe, that rather than take the chance of getting obsessed with something that feels so good, reject it. After all, hell is the danger one faces! Of course, that's if one buys all the silliness of hell and sin.

Why would God care if we fool around or masterbate? It's trivial! In both cases we have the means to do it safely and within the boundaries of a relationship. Besides, if God is really wise, then he/she/it had to have known something that feels so good is going to be done all the time by we little feel-good machines.

So I say, masterbate if you want, if it helps. For some people the sex drive is so intense they'd go nuts if they didn't have that release, married or not. As long as no one is harmed, I can't see what's wrong with it. Some married couples even work that into their relationship with the goal of enjoying their mate's sexuality fully.

And what if one is trying to get close to God? Well, maybe one day, when the drive has settled down, and you want to focus less on sex, then that can happen too. I really don't think God would mind at all someone being horny if one is equally or more passionate in their inner devotion.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2003
  19. Jul 21, 2003 #18
    It would be something alone the lines of "just what" are you learning in having multiple partners.

NOT the intimacy that is available to two people who select to stay with each other, exclusively, but the "mulitiplicity of partnerings" that arises from having indulged, in you heart, in a plenitude of personality types, (but by visual judgment alone) without their personalities present, such that, your judgmental abilities are waaaaay off when it comes to crunch (actual selection) time.

Spent so many a days dreaming of a "Perfect Body" image in your brain, and it might not be even close to what is actually the right 'character' type for you, never mind 'body' type, 'personality' type etc.

A good (possible) pathway of self deception, leading yourself astray, if I ever heard of one.

But clearly, it's been in the local papers, it's agreed, it is good for you health wise, just people need pay respect to the spiritual, else they become lost, even more then they already are.

Choose for yourself, that way you are respocible!
  20. Jul 21, 2003 #19
    ... and that's one to grow on....

* sparkling banner appears with caption that says the more you know *

* dee dee dee dee *

21. Jul 21, 2003 #20
    What are you talking about? He does that everytime he thinks he slamming us in the General Forums.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?