Do you ever get cravings for a certain food?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary, the conversation revolved around cravings for different types of food, particularly salty foods like cashews, olives, and fries with mayonnaise. Some participants also mentioned a craving for sweets and chocolate. The origin of the term "pomme frites" and other variations for fried potatoes was discussed, with some disagreement on the correct term. There was also a mention of a German restaurant going out of business and taking their secret recipe with them, causing frustration for the person who craved their German potato salad. The conversation also touched on the different names for fries in various countries and how they are pronounced. One participant mentioned that they rarely get cravings and just eat whatever is available.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

A few weeks ago I HAD to have salted cashews. I ate two cans of them in a couple of days.

Yesterday it was olives. I notice I tend to crave salty foods.

Physics news on Phys.org
i eat olives like they are going out of style...i crave avocados and artichokes frequently too.

hmmm i like VERY salted foods...(same as you mom!) usually it's chips (fries), which have been salted and have mayonnaise on them! mmmm mmmmmmmmmmmm. Sometimes i crave salt and vinegar crisps. Oh, yeah, i HAVE to have a bacon fix everyday or i get real crabby!

Kerrie said:
i crave avocados and artichokes frequently too.
I love both of those too. (I knew there was something I really liked about you Kerrie!) :biggrin:

jimmy p said:
hmmm i like VERY salted foods...(same as you mom!) usually it's chips (fries), which have been salted and have mayonnaise on them! mmmm mmmmmmmmmmmm.
Wow, I thought I was the only one that ate fries with mayonaise.

Evo said:
I love both of those too. (I knew there was something I really liked about you Kerrie!) :biggrin:

I LOVE fries with mayonaisse! I love artichokes and avacados with mayonaise! I love broccoli and asparagus with mayonaisse! There is not much that is not a really good reason to eat lots and lots of mayonaisse! :biggrin: One of the few things that is not a really good vehicle for mayonaisse, but I crave frequently is CAKE! I love sweets. Cookies, sticky buns... Root beer floats have been a recent craving of mine. Dang, now I'm hungry, and I just got here. :frown: Gotta go get a snack.

Evo said:
*ughm* whole Europe does :rolleyes: :smile:
it must be your European genes that make you like the combination :)

Then why is it that in the Netherlands they always try to make me eat the weird "Frietsaus" that you THINK is mayonaise ?

Because frietsaus IS mayonaise? And who coined the term french-fries? We all know the Belgians are the ones who love the patattekes the most :)

I crave chocolate, sweets.

Monique said:
Because frietsaus IS mayonaise?

I have to protest, both as a Belgian and lover of fries with mayonaise, frietsaus IS NOT mayonaise. Order "Een kleinke mé majoneis" at the nearest frietkot, you'll understand... :smile:

Fruit and fruit juices, quite often. And I'm quite nuts about water. I drink LOTS of water.

Monique said:
Because frietsaus IS mayonaise? And who coined the term french-fries? We all know the Belgians are the ones who love the patattekes the most :)
I seem to recall seeing something like 'pom freits' for sale at food counters in the Netherlands? Aren't those 'french fries'?

Pomme frites, that is french for fried potato. The disputable honor (:P) for inventing the fries really goes to the Belgians, and to be precise I guess the french speaking part of it, what do you say Dimitri?

I'll guess I'll try a kleinke mé next time I'm near a Belgian stand and feel a craving coming up :D

Monique said:
Pomme frites, that is french for fried potato. The disputable honor (:P) for inventing the fries really goes to the Belgians, and to be precise I guess the french speaking part of it, what do you say Dimitri?

I'll guess I'll try a kleinke mé next time I'm near a Belgian stand and feel a craving coming up :D

Pomme frites! Yeah! That was it! But didn't I see them sold all over europe as 'pomme frites'? Doesn't France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, The Netherlands (and possibly others) call them 'pomme frites'? It's been quite a few years since we were there, so I could be remembering this wrong... Help me you guys!

What's a frietkot?

The dutch call it patat, some provinces friet, the flemish patattekes, I don't know about the rest :biggrin: some companies sell them as pomme frites, they are shaped differently, a less perfect cut I guess, more nostalgic :)

Evo said:

What I really hate is when you crave something you can't get anymore. Like when your favorite German restaurant goes out of business and takes their secret recipe for their wonderful German Potato Salad with them. :frown:

Every friday, I have a craving for chocolate. Every Saturday, I have a craving for Jumba Juice.

Monique said:
The dutch call it patat, some provinces friet, the flemish patattekes, I don't know about the rest :biggrin: some companies sell them as pomme frites, they are shaped differently, a less perfect cut I guess, more nostalgic :)

Well, the Brits call them chips for some reason...
And the Flemish don't call them patattekes, by that they just mean potatoes. They're just called "Frieten" or "Frites" in the French-speaking part. I think pomme frites is used mainly in France, and in the Nederlands of course, where they make it a point of honour to call everything by it's French name and then minspronounce it. Sjudoransj anyone? :wink:

Dimitri Terryn said:
Sjudoransj anyone? :wink:
lol, actually we just say Sju :tongue: .. it is much easier to say than ssssinaasssappelsssap :biggrin:

Much the same as "chips" is easier to say than pomme frittes

But chips is only for the round ones right? How about the long ones? I think the right word still is patat, I should look up the enthymology.. someone once explained to me that is related to the root word of potato..

I looked it up, potatoes are a south american plant, which is named patata :biggrin:

no, chips are the long ones, the round ones (which the Americans call "chips") are called crisps.

I rarely get a craving for any certain food, and I'll never go out of my way to get anything special. I just eat whatever or whoever is around. I eat strange though. I eat like a camel. I'll go a couple days without eating then fill up on a huge meal. Doesn't surprise me that a lot of you crave nuts. I crave nuts too, that's why I come here.

Monique said:
lol, actually we just say Sju :tongue: .. it is much easier to say than ssssinaasssappelsssap :biggrin:
Gezundheit! (Do you offer towels with your 'showers'? :biggrin:)

you don't get more nuts than me...

I crave tea.

Ebolamonk3y said:
I crave tea.
T? I like M&Ms and P soup.

i get really bad cravings for things that are pickled. I found pickled flavored sun flower seeds the other day. The inside of my mouth is raw from them. I had a bloody mary the other day with a pickled asparigus in it...HEAVEN!

1. What causes food cravings?

Food cravings can be caused by a variety of factors, including hormonal changes, nutrient deficiencies, emotional triggers, and learned behaviors. They can also be influenced by external cues, such as advertisements or the sight and smell of food.

2. Are food cravings a sign of a nutrient deficiency?

It is possible that food cravings can be a sign of a nutrient deficiency, but this is not always the case. Sometimes cravings are simply a result of our body's natural desire for certain foods, and not necessarily a sign of a deficiency. It is important to listen to your body and make sure you are eating a balanced diet to ensure you are getting all the necessary nutrients.

3. How can I control my food cravings?

There are several strategies you can use to control food cravings, such as eating a balanced and satisfying meal, distracting yourself with a non-food activity, practicing mindful eating, and keeping trigger foods out of sight. It may also be helpful to identify the root cause of your cravings and address it directly.

4. Do food cravings only occur for unhealthy foods?

No, food cravings can occur for both healthy and unhealthy foods. However, unhealthy cravings may be more common due to the high availability and marketing of these foods. It is important to listen to your body and try to satisfy your cravings with healthier options when possible.

5. Can food cravings be a sign of an underlying health issue?

In some cases, food cravings can be a sign of an underlying health issue, such as a hormonal imbalance or a nutrient deficiency. If you are experiencing frequent and intense cravings, it may be worth discussing with your healthcare provider to rule out any potential underlying issues.