Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you have any skills or expertise that would amaze others?

1. Mar 16, 2012 #1
    I do not. I'm bilingual, but one of them is Americanese so it doesn't stand out much, I can perform 4 digit calculation in my head within 30 seconds but my niece is catching up fast and she's only 3rd grade. I have good long term memory, but have to prove that in at least ten years.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Yup.

4. Mar 16, 2012 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

What, brevity?

5. Mar 16, 2012 #4
    I can juggle 3 balls. I've been able to do that since I was 7 years old. I'm now 28 and can still only juggle 3 balls. Never made it to 4. But people are still impressed by that. Seems to me everyone should at least have the dexterity to juggle 3 balls. It's not hard.

I can also balance things really well. Like sticks. I can balance them on my chin and my foot. That's not hard either. I'm usually surprised at how bad people are at that.

6. Mar 16, 2012 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you balance a stick and juggle at the same time?

7. Mar 16, 2012 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I can manage a stick and 2 balls at once. Most men can. :tongue:

8. Mar 16, 2012 #7
    I can multitask, like walking, chewing gum and listening to music at the same time. Does that count? But it served me well for my career as fighter pilot.

Also, at age 12, some century ago, I would challenge anybody for quizzes about recognising aquarium fish (latin names). Currently that would be about facts pertaining the last glacial transition between 25K and 10K years ago

9. Mar 16, 2012 #8

turbo

Gold Member

I don't know if "amaze" is an apt word, but I can play guitar and sing well enough to make a living at it, though that was cut short by my inability to tolerate perfumes, colognes, and fragrances in fabric products. Too bad, because I could pull in over $30/hr for hosting open mic jams at taverns. Some less-experienced guitarists were "amazed" at my ability to play a song in any key that they specified. That was simple: just learn barre chords and learn to build leads out of runs associated with those chords. Guitar is a wonderfully transposable instrument, if you have the skills. When someone wanted to sing and had problems with the chosen key, out would come the capos. I never used one.

10. Mar 16, 2012 #9
    Nope. And I can't juggle sticks. The flipping of them throws me off. I can balance balls, but it's hard. I can spin a basketball on my finger too.
    So yeah, I can do a bunch of useless stuff.
    I'm also apparently really knowledgeable about 90's movies. My friends bought a movie trivia game and there are about 100 or so questions for each decade and I got nearly every single 90's question right. For some reason movies and actors are something I remember well.

11. Mar 16, 2012 #10

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Doesn't amaze my musical friends (or my kids), but some people are amazed that I can play several piano concertos pretty well (especially Rachmaninov 2 and Grieg) and also several violin concertos (especially Bruch no.1 and Tchaikovsky).

I can also juggle 3 balls or random objects of the right sort of weight, but not without occasionally dropping one!

Less seriously, I can whistle and hum at the same time in three-part harmony. (The second humming part sounds very similar to the first, but is actually a beat frequency selected by choosing the appropriate interval between the humming and whistling).

Even less seriously, I can whistle and hum two different tunes at the same time if I know them both well enough. (The examples I usually use here are the British National Anthem and Rule Britannia, but I also do requests). You do NOT want to hear that.

12. Mar 16, 2012 #11

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can clap with one hand, and I can tell the difference between Coca-Cola from a 330 ml can and a 500 ml bottle just by smell. Don't think anyone is amazed by it though. :smile: I can juggle 3 balls too, but for some reason, a lot of people can do that here in Sweden.

13. Mar 16, 2012 #12
    I can multiply 13 digit numbers in my head. 2 trillion times 3 trillion is 6 septillion.

14. Mar 17, 2012 #13
    I have a few hidden talents. Not sure if they really AMAZE others but eh, acquaintances are usually surprised when they find any of these out:

I can juggle 3, 4, 5 balls, that's kinda impressive I guess, I learned that in high school.

I can crochet, knit, macrame, weave, and whittle. (awe usually follows after I tell people I made the birthday/christmas/whatever gift I just gave them)

My last hidden talent is that I still have a 100+ mph serve in tennis even though I have only played 2-3 times a year since the high school state championships.

Although this isn't really "hidden" since I have a masters in classical trumpet performance, most of my science/academic colleagues don't realize my income is from being a professional musician, which usually amazes them ... the reverse is also true, where my musician friends often find it interesting that I'm going back to school for an MD/PhD.

15. Mar 17, 2012 #14

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no. that would be, no.

16. Mar 17, 2012 #15

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have an amazing social obtuseness. Can be counted on to say "just the wrong thing".

But i used to be able to taste a Busch beer and name which brewery it came from.

17. Mar 17, 2012 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know a must-meet-minimum-character-requirement post when I see one - is that amazing?

18. Mar 17, 2012 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can pour water into the coffee maker with highest rate of flow possible... are you ready? ... without spilling any.

19. Mar 17, 2012 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I can pick my nose while showering. :approve:

20. Mar 17, 2012 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Oh, yeah? Well I can shower without peeing in the shower.

21. Mar 17, 2012 #20

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Can you keep from singing as well?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook