Do you wear suit and tie to work? Do you think people should be?

• Thread starter Alex_Sanders
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: It's not that expensive, it's really comfortable, and it'll definitely help you stand out in a good way. In summary, more people should wear suits. Suits are pretty sweet!
I like ties because they're a means for some individuality in a world (government workers) where most everyone is white shirt/black pants or blue shirt/khaki pants. Rarely do I need to wear a full suit though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
That's what I keep a spare birthday suit for.

Lol.

Wearing a robe is much better than a suit. Suits are a bit restrictive.

Mororvia said:
I like ties because they're a means for some individuality in a world (government workers) where most everyone is white shirt/black pants or blue shirt/khaki pants. Rarely do I need to wear a full suit though.

I genuinely laughed when reading this. Ties a means for some individuality... I hadn't heard that one before.

Hobin said:
I genuinely laughed when reading this. Ties a means for some individuality... I hadn't heard that one before.
Really! Spend $20 on a silk tie to be an "individual"?

Since when did ties start costing $20? Ties generally cost around $60/tie.

Alex_Sanders said:
I never dress formally, and only ppl here wear like that are either high ranking managers or banker, or salesman. I once dressed all up for a meeting and it turned out I was a rare bird.

And it is really interesting how almost every sales engie wear suit and tie and have their shoes shined. But people use to wear like that in the old days, heck, they even wear top hats. What happened?
I wear a suit, or sport jacket, and tie a lot. But I'm 65. I wouldn't expect young people today to dress that way in lots of situations where I do.

phoenix:\\ said:
Since when did ties start costing $20? Ties generally cost around $60/tie.
I haven't bought any ties for decades. But they still can be had for less than $20.

http://www.thetiebar.com/

A business suit and tie (here in Maine) is jarring when you want to do some business with the wearer. Too formal. If you want to put someone at ease, even when proposing very large transactions, dress neatly and let your attitude and personality carry the day. I have negotiated auction consignments worth over $1M with consignors and never wore a tie or a sport coat.

One guy (very large collection of flags and antique firearms) drove up here to seal the deal and said "My wife wants to meet you." I had spoken to her several times on the phone, usually just asking for her husband, and she was in the car. I was wearing my typical get-up at the time (polo-shirt and khakis), and later her husband called me and said how much she trusted me to handle their collection. That collection (liquidated) was their retirement money, so she was right to be attentive to the details, including who would catalog and promote the collection to buyers.

She was acting on intuition, BTW. She got out of that Caddy, and held her hand out. I gave her a gentle hand-shake and said that I was happy to finally meet her in person, and we exchanged a couple of pleasantries. Probably less than 30 seconds in total. In the end, we got about 50% more for their collection at auction than I had estimated, because of the high quality and rarity of some items.

No tie. No jacket, and certainly no suit.