Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does 2 spring @ 30 degrees = 1 @ 90?

1. Oct 18, 2011 #1
    Let's say you have 2 identical springs

Let's say lenght = 1m
    Spring constant = 0.5

You attach each spring to the ceiling and a mass. The springs make a 30 degree angle with the ceiling. Basically the system forms a triangle...

Is it OK to say that the effective spring constant of the system is equal to the spring constant of one spring, since 2*sin(30) = 1?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2011 #2
    effective constant,,,for how long? I mean, as soon as you move a bit, that 30 degree angle is not going to be there...

...the truth is that I have not look into it, just yet, I figure I shoot you back a quick reply to make you think about your own statement, for now.

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3
    Yes, I think this is correct... for the vertical spring constant, in a small neighbourhood around the equilibrium.

Horizontally it is different, and it will change as the end moves, as gsal mentioned.

5. Oct 20, 2011 #4
    for two springs connected in a series, the effective spring constant K is given by-
    1/K=1/k1+1/k2.
    in parallel -
    K=k1+k2.
    this is a question of parallel connection so accordingly use the right expression.
    (note this is righty the opposite to series and parallel connections of resistors as in electricity)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook