Does a Capacitor's Plate Resistance Work Like a Resistor's?

In summary: Both the electric field and the resistance are present in a resistor. However, the electric field inside a resistor is stronger because the electric field lines are shorter.
tonyjk
Hello,

Please I would like to know how the resistance of the plates of a capacitors work? Is it the same as a resistor?
If yes, is there electric field like inside a resistor?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Starter, from a 50,000 foot level, an ideal capacitor has no internal resistance. Are you really asking about a model with only a series resistance with the capacitor or the model that contains a series resistor with the capacitor and parallel leakage resistance?

Electronic devices have different approximations depending on their application. Depending on the application (design) of the circuit governs which approximation is required. Some applications can use the ideal approximation, but if certain circuit requirements such as high frequency operation, could make it important to consider a non ideal case. A good place to learn more about these effects is a book on network analysis. There they will discuss this in detail and how it relates to first, second, etc
order circuits usually expressed and solved using Laplace transforms since solving the differential equations are easier to solve this way.

The addition of the series resistor case adds a simple RC time constant to the circuit connected to the capacitor.

The parallel resistance represents the leakage resistance. This value is usually much larger than the circuit elements the capacitor is connected to and can in most cases can be ignored. I hope keeping the response simple is helpful

Im talking about the resistance of capacitor's plates

The resistance of the capacitor plates act like all other kinds of resistance; it reduces current. However, the charges are more driven to reach the other plate than moving around in the plate. There is an electric field present when there are charges on the plates.

Are you trying to make an analogy between the electric field generated in a resistor as compared to that in a capacitor? I have checked back through my college textbooks, and "plate resistance" is not a topic discussed in my books. I have never used it as a design factor or parameter in circuit analysis. Not sure if I understand what you are really asking, sorry.

Inventive said:
Are you trying to make an analogy between the electric field generated in a resistor as compared to that in a capacitor? I have checked back through my college textbooks, and "plate resistance" is not a topic discussed in my books. I have never used it as a design factor or parameter in circuit analysis. Not sure if I understand what you are really asking, sorry.
I think nDenver has the best and clearest answer. This is where I was heading in terms of a response

Last edited by a moderator:
Inventive said:
I think nDenver has the best and clearest answer. This is where I was heading in terms of a response
sorry for the mispelling

nDever said:
The resistance of the capacitor plates act like all other kinds of resistance; it reduces current. However, the charges are more driven to reach the other plate than moving around in the plate. There is an electric field present when there are charges on the plates.

But the resistor has an electric field inside it but for example internal resistance inside an EMF is different however it resists the movements of electrons. That's why I am asking about the resistance of capacitor's plate

Inventive said:
I am talking about resistance of capacitor's plate and related Equivalent Series Resistor due to its conductivity

Related to Does a Capacitor's Plate Resistance Work Like a Resistor's?

1. What is the resistance of a capacitor?

The resistance of a capacitor is a measure of how much it resists the flow of electric current. It is typically measured in ohms (Ω) and is dependent on the material, design, and properties of the capacitor.

2. How does the resistance of a capacitor affect its performance?

The resistance of a capacitor can affect its performance in several ways. A higher resistance can cause the capacitor to heat up, reducing its lifespan. It can also affect the charging and discharging time of the capacitor, as well as its ability to store and release energy efficiently.

3. How can the resistance of a capacitor be calculated?

The resistance of a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the voltage across the capacitor by the current flowing through it. This is known as Ohm's law (R = V/I). However, the resistance of a capacitor can also vary depending on the frequency and type of signal passing through it.

4. What factors can affect the resistance of a capacitor?

The resistance of a capacitor can be affected by several factors including the material used for the conductive plates, the dielectric material, the distance between the plates, and the surface area of the plates. Temperature, humidity, and voltage can also impact the resistance of a capacitor.

5. How can the resistance of a capacitor be reduced?

The resistance of a capacitor can be reduced by using materials with higher conductivity for the conductive plates, choosing a dielectric material with lower resistivity, and decreasing the distance between the plates. Additionally, using larger surface area plates and controlling the temperature and humidity can also help reduce the resistance of a capacitor.