1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Does any kind of polarized light transfer heat?

1. Mar 31, 2016 #1
    Does any kind of polarized light transfer heat or any other form of energy? If possible give me some theory and related equation.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Light does not "absorb" anything. What did you have in mind.

4. Mar 31, 2016 #3
    I should say transfer instead of "absorb or emit". another way of saying, is it possible to transfer energy using polarized light ?

5. Mar 31, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Light has energy, so obviously yes.
    Where is the point of the polarization? If you just want to transfer energy from A to B, there is no need to make your light polarized.

Don't ask x-y questions please. What do you actually want to do?

6. Mar 31, 2016 #5
    well, I am doing a lab based course, where my prof told me to come up with new idea and experiment about the polarization of light. It's kinda proposal type thing. So if I get some idea about how to transfer energy from one place to another probably I will use it in order to support my proposed experiment.

7. Apr 1, 2016 #6

DrClaude

That's still too vague for us to offer any help. Unless you can give more details, the thread will be closed.

8. Apr 1, 2016 #7

mfb

2016 Award

I guess your experiment should use some property specific to polarized light. "Transfer energy" in general does not use the polarization.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted