Does any one know how to make a stress strain diagram in MS excel?

In summary, the individual values on the graph are too small to see, and the linear portion of the graph is not expanded.
Saladsamurai
Or know of any good tutorials?

This is a PAIN to do by hand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:
Or know of any good tutorials?

This is a PAIN to do by hand.

What exactly are you doing? Do you already have values? Why don't you just use the published ones?

Yes. I have the values. I am just having a hard time figuring out how to enter and plot the values? I tried using line chart, but it seems to be graphing a line for both strain and stress instead on just one line for stress VS strain.

What do you mean "published ones"?

Most materials have published stress-strain charts.

Anyway, back to Excel. What other choices do you see for plot type?

These are all of the line charts, all the others are just pie, bar, scatter plots...

Picture1-2.png

I think the scatter plot will do it, I just can't figure out how to change the scaling of the axes.

I got it to look like this:
Picture2-4.png

Now I just need to get the blown up graph for the elastic range. I want to make it show up underneath the main curve with its own scaling just like a standard stress-strain diagram

Last edited:
You can change the max/min values right on the open dialog box in your image. See the minimum and maximum fields? Nice curve, by the way.

Right. The only thing is, I want to get a second curve in there. I want to expand (blow up) the linear portion of the graph. . .

Saladsamurai said:
Right. The only thing is, I want to get a second curve in there. I want to expand (blow up) the linear portion of the graph. . .
Put in your second set of data. Highlight it and press control-c. This will put the data in your clipboard. Click once on your graph. Go to the edit menu and select paste special. You should the get a dialog box that will ask you if you want to paste it as a new series of data. Say yes. This will put the data on the same chart. However, you must click on either of the data sets and right click. Select format data series. There should then be a tab labelled Axis. Select it and there will be a selector box that says Primary or Secondary. Select secondary to put it on the other axis. You can then format the range of that axis separately.

1. How do I create a stress-strain diagram in MS Excel?

To create a stress-strain diagram in MS Excel, you will need to first input your stress and strain data in two separate columns. Then, select the data and click on the "Insert" tab. From there, choose the "Scatter" chart option and select the type of scatter plot that best represents your data. Your stress-strain diagram will then be created.

2. What type of scatter plot should I use for a stress-strain diagram?

The type of scatter plot you should use for a stress-strain diagram depends on your data. If your data is in a linear relationship, you can use a "Straight Line" scatter plot. If your data has a non-linear relationship, you can use a "Smoothed Line" or "Scatter with Smooth Lines" plot. It is best to experiment with different options to find the one that best represents your data.

3. Can I add labels and titles to my stress-strain diagram in MS Excel?

Yes, you can add labels and titles to your stress-strain diagram in MS Excel. To add a title, click on the chart and then click on the "Chart Title" option in the "Layout" tab. To add labels to your axes, click on the chart and then click on the "Axis Titles" option in the "Layout" tab. From there, you can customize the labels and titles according to your needs.

4. How can I customize the appearance of my stress-strain diagram in MS Excel?

To customize the appearance of your stress-strain diagram in MS Excel, you can click on the chart and then click on the "Format" tab. From there, you can change the chart type, add gridlines, adjust the colors and fonts, and make other visual modifications to your diagram. You can also right-click on specific elements of the chart to make individual changes.

5. Is it possible to add multiple data sets to a stress-strain diagram in MS Excel?

Yes, you can add multiple data sets to a stress-strain diagram in MS Excel. Simply input the data for each set in separate columns, select all the data, and create a scatter plot. You can then customize the appearance of each data set by right-clicking on it and choosing "Format Data Series." This allows you to add labels, change colors, and modify other elements specific to each data set.