1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone consider ecology a hard science?

1. Mar 9, 2014 #1
    I want to work in ecology and I think it has potential to be a harder science. I like hard sciences and I think sometimes ecology has the image of being a soft science. Does anyone know of the progress being made in ecology? Give me some advice perhaps? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2014 #2
    I took an ecology class last semester which had a strong emphasis on the transfer of energy in ecological systems. It was actually more challenging than I anticipated. The course required a good amount of knowledge about chemistry and biochemistry. I was also required to learn about things such as electron transport chains, phosphate chains, and a good deal about how the different types of respiration work. I am no expert, but I would think that ecology might be a harder science than the average person may assume it to be. As for the progress being made, I think that you may need to look into specific fields and decide what about ecology interests you. I know that many universities are doing research into past climate systems and prehistoric ecology, which would definitely interest me. But as I said before, I am no expert. I wish you the best of luck though!

4. Mar 9, 2014 #3
    I consider ecology a hard science. By the description hard, you may mean a science with strong mathematical support, where correctness and incorrectness is evident to a greater degree, than "softer" science

I do think many students confuse ecology with environmental science. I am not as well acquainted with environmental science so I cannot say if it is hard or soft. An interesting and readable approach to Ecology, (although not a textbook) is Paul Colinveaux, Why Big Fierce Animals are Rare.

5. Mar 9, 2014 #4
    Thanks guys that is all encouraging to hear.

mpresic said: "I do think many students confuse ecology with environmental science."

sometimes I have trouble separating them too. I feel like I side more with ecology but I sometimes wonder if environmental science will be more useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook