Does anyone know this equation? (fluid dynamics, Stokes law)

In summary, the equation mu_c = mu[1 - 2.104 d/D + 2.09 (d/D)^3 - 0.95 (d/D)^5] is used to calculate the corrected viscosity when a sphere is dropped through a pipe, taking into account the diameter of the pipe. The equation may have originated from someone named Faxen and can be found in various sources such as the thread on Physics Forums and a reference book on falling ball viscometry.
astro111
I was doing some research into my coursework (don't worry, this isn't a real 'help!' thread) on Stokes law, and I found this equation on this forum (posted in 2010), regarding the effect of the walls of a pipe on the calculated value for viscosity when a sphere is dropped through that pipe (sorry if that doesn't make sense!). The equation supposedly gives an approximate correction for that value of viscosity, taking into account the diameter of the pipe.
The equation is: mu_c = mu[1 - 2.104 d/D + 2.09 (d/D)^3 - 0.95 (d/D)^5]
where mu_c is the corrected viscosity, d is the diameter of the sphere and D the diameter of the pipe.

Does anyone know the origin of this equation, or whether it is accepted? I've been googling it for the past half an hour, but I'm yet to find anything! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, however I was wondering if anyone knew where the equation originally came from (or whether it was simply devised by the website linked in that thread).

I've heard something about it being derived by someone called Faxen?

Without knowing anything about it, that equation looks very much like a Taylor series expansion of some odd function.

1. What is Stokes law?

Stokes law is a mathematical equation that describes the drag force experienced by a small spherical particle as it moves through a fluid at a constant velocity. It was developed by British physicist Sir George Gabriel Stokes in the 19th century.

2. What is the significance of Stokes law in fluid dynamics?

Stokes law is an important equation in fluid dynamics as it helps to understand and predict the behavior of particles suspended in a fluid. It is commonly used in various fields such as engineering, geology, and biology to study the motion of particles in liquids or gases.

3. What are the variables in the Stokes law equation?

The variables in the Stokes law equation are the drag force (F), the velocity of the particle (v), the dynamic viscosity of the fluid (η), the radius of the particle (r), and the density of the fluid (ρ). These variables are used to calculate the drag force on a particle in a fluid at a given velocity.

4. Can Stokes law be applied to all types of fluids?

No, Stokes law is only applicable to Newtonian fluids, which are characterized by a constant viscosity that does not change with shear stress. Examples of Newtonian fluids include water, air, and most gases and liquids. Non-Newtonian fluids, such as blood and ketchup, do not follow Stokes law as they have a variable viscosity.

5. How is Stokes law used in real-world applications?

Stokes law has numerous applications in various fields such as engineering, meteorology, and oceanography. It is used to calculate the settling velocity of particles in water and to study sedimentation in rivers and oceans. It is also used in the design of filtration systems and in the study of the behavior of pollutants in the atmosphere.