Does anyone know what a Dielectric loss angle bridge is?

In summary, an AC loss angle bridge uses a synchronous detector to compare the capacitance and phase angle of a dielectric loss. If the null is not at zero, then it is due to harmonic distortion of the AC test signal.
tim9000
All I can find on google is about what the dielectric loss angle is.
I imagine the bridge is something like a Whitstone bridge but for this...

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oliver & Cage, AC Bridges (?).

Attachments

• upload_2014-12-19_9-5-35.png
    upload_2014-12-19_9-5-35.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 516
  • upload_2014-12-19_9-5-56.png
    upload_2014-12-19_9-5-56.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 528
Last edited by a moderator:
Bystander said:
Oliver & Cage, AC Bridges (?).

I was looking for a simplistic response but I just downloaded the ebook so I'll look at the AC bridges chapter, thanks.

The Electrician said:
Here's a thorough app note on the topic:

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-2589EN.pdf

Here are links to some of the equipment needed:

http://www.keysight.com/en/pd-1000000508:epsg:pro-pn-16453A/dielectric-material-test-fixture?cc=US&lc=eng

http://www.etesters.com/see/Dielectric_Constant/Fixtures

I'm not sure what the significance of the .png 's were but the 'keysight' link didn't work. I'll look at the:
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-2589EN.pdf
tomorrow. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how those png's got there!

The simplistic answer is that nobody uses bridges anymore to measure dielectric properties of materials. Nowadays, an impedance analyzer takes the place of a bridge. The idea is to place a sample of the material in a suitable fixture which is usually a pair of metal plates with the dielectric material between them, making a capacitor. Then the real part of the impedance of the fixture gives a measure of the losses of the material being measured.

The dielectric loss of a capacitor is a resistive component that combines with the reactance of the capacitor to give a complex impedance. Now consider an AC bridge used to compare capacitor ratios.

With a simple amplitude detector the null will not be deep due to the fact that it is comparing a reactive C reference with a complex C lossy, that is with some resistive component. The single bridge balance adjustment will not give an accurate result. The detected signal can be minimised, but it will not be zero and the exact value of C will be indeterminate because of the wider null region.

With a synchronous detector the ratio of capacitance only will be accurately determined, there will be no influence from the resistive dielectric losses.

If an adjustable phase shift network is introduced before a simple differential amplitude detector then both the magnitude of the capacitance and the phase angle of the dielectric loss can be balanced accurately by searching for the deepest null. That is a “dielectric loss angle bridge”. Any failure to null at zero will be due to harmonic distortion of the AC test signal used.

The Electrician said:
The simplistic answer is that nobody uses bridges anymore to measure dielectric properties of materials. Nowadays, an impedance analyzer takes the place of a bridge. The idea is to place a sample of the material in a suitable fixture which is usually a pair of metal plates with the dielectric material between them, making a capacitor. Then the real part of the impedance of the fixture gives a measure of the losses of the material being measured.

Ah ok, interesting to know; thanks.

Baluncore said:
The dielectric loss of a capacitor is a resistive component that combines with the reactance of the capacitor to give a complex impedance. Now consider an AC bridge used to compare capacitor ratios.

With a simple amplitude detector the null will not be deep due to the fact that it is comparing a reactive C reference with a complex C lossy, that is with some resistive component. The single bridge balance adjustment will not give an accurate result. The detected signal can be minimised, but it will not be zero and the exact value of C will be indeterminate because of the wider null region.

With a synchronous detector the ratio of capacitance only will be accurately determined, there will be no influence from the resistive dielectric losses.

If an adjustable phase shift network is introduced before a simple differential amplitude detector then both the magnitude of the capacitance and the phase angle of the dielectric loss can be balanced accurately by searching for the deepest null. That is a “dielectric loss angle bridge”. Any failure to null at zero will be due to harmonic distortion of the AC test signal used.
I'll admit I had a bit of trouble following all of what you said (my fault) but was the guist of it that:
You have two signals that should be in phase, but one has a phase angle. You know the magnitude of both of them and the phase angle is caused by some complex impedance that should be real-resistive, the observed phase angle gives you an idea of what this complex impedance is. How close Is this to what you meant?

Thanks

Now that is a nice bridge.
I use an old GR-1608A Impedance bridge to measure C and C loss. It gives accurate results and so can be used to test the disposably priced “Chinese Junk” brand impedance meters like the DT-9935 found on eBay.

1. What is a Dielectric Loss Angle Bridge?

A Dielectric Loss Angle Bridge is a scientific instrument used to measure the dielectric properties of a material. It measures the loss tangent or loss angle of a material, which is a measure of the energy dissipated as heat when an alternating electric field is applied to the material.

2. How does a Dielectric Loss Angle Bridge work?

The Dielectric Loss Angle Bridge operates on the principle of a Wheatstone Bridge, where the unknown impedance (in this case, the dielectric material) is compared to a known impedance. The difference in impedance is then measured and used to calculate the loss tangent or loss angle of the material.

3. What types of materials can be tested with a Dielectric Loss Angle Bridge?

A Dielectric Loss Angle Bridge can be used to test a wide range of materials, including solids, liquids, and gases. It is commonly used to test insulating materials such as plastics, ceramics, and rubber, as well as biological samples like tissues and cells.

4. Why is measuring the dielectric properties of a material important?

Measuring the dielectric properties of a material is important in various fields, including materials science, engineering, and medicine. It provides valuable insights into the electrical behavior and performance of a material, which can be used to improve its design and functionality.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Dielectric Loss Angle Bridge?

While a Dielectric Loss Angle Bridge is a useful tool for measuring the dielectric properties of a material, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be suitable for materials with very low or very high loss tangents, and it may not be able to accurately measure materials with highly non-linear properties.