Liquids and chemicals that absorb infrared but transmit visible light

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
casaccia
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know which, if any, liquids or chemicals absorb infrared light but not visible light? In other words, something that looks clear but appears dark or black when viewed in infrared.
Help is greatly appreciated!
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org


I know that the optics in infrared spectrometers are made with special materials. The cell used to hold your sample might be KCl or AgCl for example. Apparently glass absorbs IR! The lens material on your webcam also absorbs IR but passes visible light.
 


Thanks for your help chemisttree. However, I'm specifically looking for something that could act like invisible ink. I have modified a camera to see only infrared, and I want to find something that I could use to write something that is only visible through the camera.