Does anyone know which, if any, liquids or chemicals absorb infrared

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a liquid or chemical that can absorb infrared light but not visible light, similar to invisible ink. It is mentioned that materials such as KCl or AgCl may be used in infrared spectrometers and that glass and the lens material of webcams can absorb infrared light. The person seeking help is looking for a substance that can be used to write something that is only visible through an infrared camera.
casaccia
Does anyone know which, if any, liquids or chemicals absorb infrared light but not visible light? In other words, something that looks clear but appears dark or black when viewed in infrared.
Help is greatly appreciated!

Chemistry news on Phys.org

I know that the optics in infrared spectrometers are made with special materials. The cell used to hold your sample might be KCl or AgCl for example. Apparently glass absorbs IR! The lens material on your webcam also absorbs IR but passes visible light.

Thanks for your help chemisttree. However, I'm specifically looking for something that could act like invisible ink. I have modified a camera to see only infrared, and I want to find something that I could use to write something that is only visible through the camera.

1. What is infrared radiation?

Infrared radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a longer wavelength than visible light. It is not visible to the human eye, but we can feel it as heat.

2. Why do we want to know which liquids or chemicals absorb infrared?

Understanding which liquids or chemicals absorb infrared radiation is important in various applications, such as thermal imaging, remote sensing, and infrared spectroscopy. It can also help in designing materials that can regulate heat transfer.

3. How do we measure the absorption of infrared radiation?

Infrared spectroscopy is the most common method used to measure the absorption of infrared radiation. It involves passing infrared light through a sample and measuring the amount of light that is absorbed by the sample.

4. Which liquids or chemicals are known to absorb infrared the most?

Water, carbon dioxide, and methane are among the most well-known substances that absorb infrared radiation. Other liquids and chemicals that have strong absorption in the infrared region include alcohols, organic solvents, and some plastics.

5. Can we use any liquid or chemical to absorb infrared radiation?

Not all liquids or chemicals can absorb infrared radiation. The ability to absorb infrared depends on the molecular structure of the substance. Some substances are transparent to infrared, while others are opaque. Therefore, it is important to select the right substance for a specific application.