Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone know which, if any, liquids or chemicals absorb infrared

1. Sep 17, 2011 #1
    Does anyone know which, if any, liquids or chemicals absorb infrared light but not visible light? In other words, something that looks clear but appears dark or black when viewed in infrared.
    Help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Infrared-Absorbing/Visible-Transparent

I know that the optics in infrared spectrometers are made with special materials. The cell used to hold your sample might be KCl or AgCl for example. Apparently glass absorbs IR! The lens material on your webcam also absorbs IR but passes visible light.

4. Sep 18, 2011 #3
    Re: Infrared-Absorbing/Visible-Transparent

Thanks for your help chemisttree. However, I'm specifically looking for something that could act like invisible ink. I have modified a camera to see only infrared, and I want to find something that I could use to write something that is only visible through the camera.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook