Does anyone recognise this equation (Indicated mean pressure)?

In summary, the author is introducing this equation without much detail and they are looking for someone who can help them out. They have figured out the variables that are certain, but are still wondering about the other two. The equation is not commonly seen in that form and is related to internal combustion engines.
bsodmike
Hi,

I have been reading some online papers and have been struggling with the following equation as the author seems to introduce it without much detail. Since my background is primarily in electronic engineering, it is quite possible that this could be one of the elementary equations in thermodynamics.

[tex]P_i=\dfrac{q_C}{\lambda_{\text{tot}}\alpha_{\text{st}}}\rho_C\epsilon_{\text{Vi}}\eta_i[/tex]

What I know:
[tex]P_i[/tex]: indicated mean pressure; This is OK!

[tex]\alpha_{\text{st}}[/tex]: the ideal air-to-fuel ratio for gasoline; values vary between 14.3 and 14.8. This is also defined as the "stoichiometric air-fuel ratio"

[tex]\rho_C[/tex]: compressor air density; This is OK! Standard value of 1.2 kg/m^3 is used.

[tex]\eta_i[/tex]: Indicated efficiency, 0.38 is being used; This is OK!

Variables I have no idea about:
[tex]q_C[/tex]: A value of [tex]42.5\times10^6[/tex] is being used; have no idea.

[tex]\lambda_{\text{tot}}[/tex]: relative air ratio, it seems 1.8 is a typical value for constant-pressure (pulse factor = 1) turbochargers??!?

[tex]\epsilon_{\text{Vi}[/tex]: no clue! A value of 0.97 has been used. Seems it is a percentage of sorts, an efficiency may be. The subscript "i" is typically used to indicate the word 'indicated' but "Vi" is not making much sense.

Summary: Have you seen this equation before? Please let me know what [tex]\epsilon_{\text{Vi}[/tex] and I would greatly appreciate if you can confirm the other variables and my guesses/suggestions.

Cheers
Mike!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have split the variables above into two sections: (1) the variables I have figured out and are certain of and (2) the variables that continue to elude me.

The two driving me up the wall are [tex]q_C[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon_{\text{Vi}}[/tex]. Really would be glad if someone could help. Thanks!

Indicated mean effective pressure.

evi is probably volumetric efficiency (hew well the cylinder fills)
Qc is the heating value of the fuel.
lambda is the fuel equivilance ratio. its the ratio of fuel air mix to stoichiometric fuel air mix. (another way of noting how ruch or lean the engine is running)

The equation is not commonly seen looking like that (its usually in a simplified form work per cycle / volume dispaced). In this case the auther has simply expanded it to include all the basic variables.

mep is not really a pressure per se. It's a method of characterising how well an engine is performing regardless of displacement. The higher the mep the better.This isn't general thermodynamics if its the equation I am thinking of. It's to do with internal combustion engines. What book is it?

Last edited:
xxChrisxx said:
evi is probably volumetric efficiency (hew well the cylinder fills)
Qc is the heating value of the fuel.
lambda is the fuel equivilance ratio. its the ratio of fuel air mix to stoichiometric fuel air mix. (another way of noting how ruch or lean the engine is running)

The equation is not commonly seen looking like that (its usually in a simplified form work per cycle / volume dispaced). In this case the auther has simply expanded it to include all the basic variables.

Is Qc the same as heat of combustion? This page lists a HHV value for diesel of 44.8 MJ/kg; considering the equation I've seen uses 42.5 MJ/kg, it explains the 10^6 factor!

xxChrisxx said:
This isn't general thermodynamics if its the equation I am thinking of. It's to do with internal combustion engines. What book is it?

You're right; I did look up some books and found equations in terms of work per cycle/volume displaced. It was an undergraduate draft report I was perusing, rather than a book. Referencing books didn't help of course for the reason you mentioned.

Thanks a lot for your explanation... I am very bad at letting things 'go' if I cannot understand something, and this would have continued to nag away at me :)

Cheers
Mike.

1. What is the equation for Indicated Mean Pressure (IMP)?

The equation for Indicated Mean Pressure is IMP = (Pmax + 2Pmin) / 3, where Pmax is the maximum pressure and Pmin is the minimum pressure during one cycle of an engine.

2. How is Indicated Mean Pressure calculated?

Indicated Mean Pressure is calculated by taking the average of the maximum and minimum pressures during one cycle of an engine. It is a measure of the average pressure exerted on the piston by the combustion process.

3. What is the significance of Indicated Mean Pressure in engine performance?

Indicated Mean Pressure is an important parameter in evaluating the efficiency of an engine. It is used to calculate the engine's thermal efficiency and power output, and can also indicate any potential problems or inefficiencies in the engine's operation.

4. How is Indicated Mean Pressure different from Brake Mean Effective Pressure?

Indicated Mean Pressure (IMP) is a measure of the average pressure exerted on the piston during the combustion process, while Brake Mean Effective Pressure (BMEP) is a measure of the average pressure exerted on the crankshaft. BMEP takes into account the mechanical losses in the engine, while IMP does not.

5. What factors can affect Indicated Mean Pressure?

Indicated Mean Pressure can be affected by various factors, such as air-fuel ratio, ignition timing, compression ratio, and engine speed. Changes in these parameters can alter the pressure-volume relationship within the engine and thus affect the IMP value.