1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does energy barely leave the sphere?

1. Mar 14, 2006 #1

ive just found ou that ke (translation) + ke (rotational) = Potetntial

i.e • ½ I *angular speed(squared) + 1/2mv(squared) = mgh

is ther anything else i can derive from this. as that is all basically ive written, and that , This proves that hardly any energy is lost, with an average of less than 0.000001738% loss of energy, it shows that the energy does not leave the sphere
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2006 #2
    you have to be more specific... like perhaps tell us the question... because im not sure from where u got that percentage
  4. Mar 15, 2006 #3
    its a ball bearing rolling down a slope, and then released at different distances
  5. Mar 16, 2006 #4
    Why should energy be lost from sphere? The equation shows energy in the sphere is conserved. As stunner was stunned, even I am stunned with the percentage of energy loss you gave. An ideal ball bearing, which is an ideal sphere will never lose an energy.
  6. Mar 16, 2006 #5
    Go to my post on NRG.

My Energy Post
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?