Does friction work as an action reaction pair with 2 obects on top of eachother?

In summary, the 1kg block is tied to the wall with a rope. It sits on top of the 2.9kg block. The lower block is pulled to the right with a tension force of 20N. The coefficient of kinetic friction at both the lower and upper surfaces of the 2kg block is mk=.40.
mrjoe2

Homework Statement

the 1.0kg block is tied to the wall with a rope. it sits on top of the 2.9kg block. the lower block si pulled to the right with a tension force of 20N. the coefficient of kinetic friction at both the lower and upper surfaces of the 2kg block is mk=.40. what is the tension in the rope holding the 1kg block to the wall?

Homework Equations

Newtons third law, perhaps the second law. ffk=fn *mewk fnet=ma fg=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

when i tried thisi said that the backward friction in the 2kg block was equal to the forward fricttion in the 1kg block (action reaction pair. this also makes sense i think because the 1kg is tending backwards "slipping" as the 2.0kg object accelerates forward). i noticed that the fg of the 2kg box was actually 3*9.8 because it has the 1kg box on top of it. this would also be the Fn of the 2kg box. so ff = 11.76 subbing in fN and mewk. so there is a forward force on box 1kg. then we also have to take into account another action reaction pair. that is, the forward force 20N on box 2kg has a reaction pair on the 1kg block of 20N back. then we have yet another force acting on the 1kg, and that is its own Ffk which is Fk=9.8*1 *.4 = 3.92 Newtons forward. so the tension in the rope would be T = 3.92 + 11.76 - 20 = 4.32 N (back). There are no solutions for these questions and i just want to see if i did it right. i have a feeling its perfection but like in the title i infered that i wasnt sure about the action reaction forces i assumed (through Newtons second law)

Physics news on Phys.org
Much of the information given here is irrelevant. The friction force is just the coefficient of kinetic friction multiplied by the weight of the top block. As long as the lower block is moving, so that there IS friction, how fast it is moving is irrelevant. Then tension in the line holding the upper block in place is equal to the friction force.

i think you're wrong sorry. any other people think they know how to do it?

mrjoe2 said:

I don't think he's wrong. What horizontal forces are on the 1 kg block?

mrjoe2 said:
For once, HallsofIvy is not wrong. :rofl: (Sorry Halls... couldn't resist.)

Well, at least you didn't do what mrjoe2 did- he sent me a pm telling me that if I don't understand a question, I shouldn't respond to it! I was tempted to delete the entire thread.

1. How does friction work between two objects on top of each other?

Friction is a force that opposes the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. When two objects are on top of each other, the weight of the upper object creates a normal force on the lower object. This normal force, along with the roughness of the surfaces, causes the two objects to experience frictional forces in opposite directions.

2. Is friction an action reaction pair?

Yes, friction is an action reaction pair because it involves two objects exerting equal and opposite forces on each other. The force of friction that the upper object exerts on the lower object is equal and opposite to the force of friction that the lower object exerts on the upper object.

3. Does the weight of the objects affect the amount of friction between them?

Yes, the weight of the objects does affect the amount of friction between them. The greater the weight of the upper object, the greater the normal force and therefore the greater the frictional force. However, the roughness of the surfaces also plays a role in determining the amount of friction.

4. How can the amount of friction between two objects be reduced?

The amount of friction between two objects can be reduced by increasing the smoothness of the surfaces in contact, applying a lubricant between the surfaces, or reducing the weight or normal force between the objects.

5. Can friction be eliminated completely between two objects?

No, friction cannot be eliminated completely between two objects. There will always be some amount of roughness or microscopic irregularities on the surfaces in contact, which will result in some level of friction. However, the amount of friction can be minimized through various methods such as lubrication or reducing the normal force between the objects.