Does iωLog[(-iω + √((r^2-ω^2)/r)] = ArcTan[ω/√(r^2-ω^2)]?

• Thread starter Katy_A
  • Start date
In summary, the ArcTan(x) function gives thetan^-1(x) as a function of x, which is equal to (i/2)ln(1-ix/1+ix).
Katy_A
This is my first post so I apologise for the notation not being very good.

I have been given some notes to check over by my PhD supervisor, and the notes he has given me state that:

[tex]i \omega \log \left(\frac{\sqrt{r^2-\omega ^2}-i \omega }{r}\right)[/tex] = [tex]\tan ^{-1}\left(\frac{\omega }{\sqrt{r^2-\omega ^2}}\right)[/tex]

But I can't seem to reproduce this answer using ArcTan(x) = (i/2)ln(1-ix/1+ix). Can someone please either show me how to obtain this ArcTan result from the exponential equation I have given or tell me that it's wrong.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
so x = w/sqrt(r^2 -w^2) from arctan(x) side

try subbing the x expression above into the righthand side of the answer and see if you can reduce it to an expression in w that matches the initial log expression from the first equation. That would demonstrate that the answer is correct.

You could also use MATLAB to compare the two expressions plotting both against x to see if the curves look the same as a kind visual proof that the answer is true before you begin the algebraic work trying to prove it.

I am using Mathematica and I have plotted the graphs against one another and they do appear to be the same. But I still can't work out why by using pencil and paper by substituting in for x.

And Mathematica gives [tex]\tan ^{-1}\left(\frac{\omega }{\sqrt{r^2-\omega ^2}}\right)[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{2} i \log \left(1-\frac{i \omega }{\sqrt{r^2-\omega ^2}}\right)-\frac{1}{2} i \log
\left(1+\frac{i \omega }{\sqrt{r^2-\omega ^2}}\right)[/tex]...so I don't understand why the graphs says they are equal.

I don't have the thing solved either so I'm looking around for the key step:

Have you looked at Euler's formula?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_formula

Roger Cote's formula is shown which mixes log and trig functions together:

ln(cos x + isin x)=ix

Last edited:
Using the formula you posted, you get:
$$\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{\omega}{\sqrt{r^2-x^2}}\right)=\frac{i}{2}\ln\left(\frac{\sqrt{r^2-x^2}-i\omega}{\sqrt{r^2-x^2}+i\omega}\right)$$
Inside the log, multiply and divide by ##\sqrt{r^2-\omega^2}-i\omega##.
$$\frac{i}{2}\ln\left(\frac{\left(\sqrt{r^2-x^2}-i\omega\right)^2}{r^2-\omega^2+\omega^2}\right)=\frac{i}{2}\ln\left(\frac{\sqrt{r^2-\omega^2}-i\omega}{r}\right)^2=i\ln\left(\frac{\sqrt{r^2-\omega^2}-i\omega}{r}\right)$$

But this doesn't give the extra factor of ##\omega## in OP.

Katy_A said:
I am using Mathematica and I have plotted the graphs against one another and they do appear to be the same.

I must be missing some key bit here

Code:
In[1]:= r = RandomReal[{-10, 10}]

Out[1]= -6.19522

In[2]:= w = RandomReal[{-10, 10}]

Out[2]= -4.22769

In[3]:= I w Log[(Sqrt[r^2 - w^2] - I w)/r]

Out[3]= -10.1064 - 9.38736*10^-16 I

In[4]:= ArcTan[w/Sqrt[r^2 - w^2]]

Out[4]= -0.751057

If you show exactly what you did to plot these then perhaps the problem can be discovered.

I'm with Pranav-Arora, i can't get the ω.. Maybe the plot isn't correct at all..

1. What does the equation iωLog[(-iω + √((r^2-ω^2)/r)] = ArcTan[ω/√(r^2-ω^2)] represent?

This equation represents the relationship between two complex numbers, i and ω, in terms of their logarithms and arctangent functions. It is often used in mathematical and scientific calculations involving complex numbers.

2. How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived using complex analysis and the properties of logarithms and arctangent functions. It is a result of manipulating and simplifying the equations that describe the relationship between i and ω.

3. What is the significance of the terms i and ω in this equation?

The term i represents the imaginary unit, which is defined as the square root of -1. The term ω is a complex number that can be expressed in terms of its real and imaginary components, and is often used in mathematical and scientific calculations involving oscillatory motion.

4. Can this equation be used in practical applications?

Yes, this equation can be used in various practical applications that involve complex numbers, such as in electrical engineering, physics, and signal processing. It is often used to analyze and solve problems involving oscillatory behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to using this equation?

Like any mathematical equation, there may be limitations to using this equation in certain situations. For example, it may not be applicable to non-oscillatory systems or when the values of i and ω are outside of its defined range. It is important to carefully consider the context and assumptions when using this equation in practical applications.