Can Light Accelerate When Changing Direction?

In summary, the answer to the homework question is that the apparent change in weight will be the change in moment of inertia (I).
Lunct
I know that light is always at constant speed but does it ever accelerate when changing direction, if you put light through lots of different densities it curves into the Brachistochrone curve, would that be an instance of light acceleration.

Likes ISamson
Science news on Phys.org
Lunct said:
I know that light is always at constant speed
In vacuum.
Lunct said:
but does it ever accelerate when changing direction, if you put light through lots of different densities it curves into the Brachistochrone curve, would that be an instance of light acceleration.
I guess you can call that acceleration, yes.

You can get a speed that changes continuously if you send it through a variable medium, e.g. through the atmosphere vertically (as the speed of light at sea level pressure is lower than the speed of light higher up).

Lunct said:
I know that light is always at constant speed but does it ever accelerate when changing direction, if you put light through lots of different densities it curves into the Brachistochrone curve, would that be an instance of light acceleration.
In a rotating reference frame light does accelerate in a vacuum

Dale said:
In a rotating reference frame light does accelerate in a vacuum
Coordinate acceleration ... You might as well say it does not have constant speed.

Likes Dale
Orodruin said:
Coordinate acceleration ... You might as well say it does not have constant speed.
Yes

Lunct said:

I recall someone posted a homework question that went something like...

A beam of light is bent by a prism mounted on sensitive weighing scales. Calculate the apparent change in weight when the light is turned on/off.

That's certainly a valid thought experiment. Momentum will be conserved.

With angular momentum, it is a real experiment (with a different focus, however).

The force from deflection in a prism should be measurable as well, but I'm not aware of specific experiments.

1. Does light accelerate?

Yes, light does accelerate. However, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and cannot increase or decrease. This means that light does not experience acceleration in the same way that objects with mass do.

2. How does light travel at a constant speed if it accelerates?

Light travels at a constant speed because it does not experience the same type of acceleration as objects with mass. Instead, it travels in a straight line at a constant speed, known as the speed of light, regardless of its surroundings or the observer's frame of reference.

3. Can light be affected by gravity?

Yes, light can be affected by gravity. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity bends the fabric of space-time, causing light to follow a curved path when it passes near a massive object.

4. Does light ever slow down?

No, light does not slow down. As mentioned before, the speed of light is constant and cannot be changed. However, light can appear to slow down when it travels through different materials, such as water or glass, due to the bending and absorption of its energy.

5. How does light behave as both a particle and a wave?

Light exhibits properties of both a particle and a wave. This concept, known as wave-particle duality, suggests that light can act as a particle (photon) when interacting with matter, and as a wave when traveling through space. Its behavior is dependent on the observation or measurement being made.