Does Accepting the Norm in Our Environment Lead to Ignorance?

• Thread starter Les Sleeth
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of "might makes right" and questions whether having power or superior abilities justifies one's decisions and actions. It also touches on the basis of "rightness" and suggests that ethics and morality should come from the concepts of good and bad, rather than power or authority. The conversation also brings up examples of war and military action as poor solutions, and emphasizes the importance of considering different perspectives and avoiding blind trust.
Imparcticle said:
What if we considered the perspective of a person who was accustomed to these things, as though they were normal as the presence of clouds in the sky. We wouldn't refelect upon the presence of clouds in the sky.

Actually, that is what I'm talking about. That which is the "norm" in one's environment is exactly what one should ponder. The unquestioning acceptance of what is normal in our environment is responsible for a lot of ignorance. The kid who accepts the norm of gang activity in his neighborhood, for instance, or even someone raised to be a certain religion. I know someone who is a very good person because of this (being raised to practice a certain religion). You might say it works for her, but I say the fact that she blindly accepts her religion involves at least some ignorance where she has never reflected on what she is doing.