Is partial collapse possible in quantum mechanics? Can you provide an example?

In summary, Katz says that the assumption that measurements create reality is not a given, and that it is possible to erase the effects of a measurement. This suggests that reality may not be entirely determined by our observations. Can you cite any sources for this?
Varon
Is it possible for the wave function collapse to be partial because you don't measure everything at once. Can you cite an example?

I read someone mentioned that it's only the superposition relating to the measured quantity that collapses and the superpostion is just expressing the state vector in an eigenbasis for a particular observable in QM, and that the collapse takes place in the view here it's expanded in the eigenstates of the operator. Is it true or mainstream belief?

Also is it true that "collapse may have an internal details that makes it smoother. For example, it takes a certain amount of new evidence to revise a prior expectation. So when you look into details, of position is ACTUALLY "measured" you get into more complicated things... often position is inferred indirectly from other primary observables. Such as momentum etc.". Can you cite any flaw? is this mainstream view?

Physics news on Phys.org
Varon said:
Is it possible for the wave function collapse to be partial because you don't measure everything at once. Can you cite an example?

Everything being every possible observable? No. One observable - partial information about it state - partial collapse. See my latest post in your thread about particles and QFT.

StevieTNZ said:
Everything being every possible observable? No. One observable - partial information about it state - partial collapse. See my latest post in your thread about particles and QFT.

What? You said yes in the other thread. I've seen the book pages you mentioned. Anyway. Let's take a simpler example. One electron at a time double slit experiment. Either the electron position becomes known or not. How can there be partial collapse in this one single electron double slit setup?

Bohr declared that without measurement to determine its position, the electron has no position.

So in one electron at a time double slit experiment. If the measurement is uncertain, the electron sometimes collapse.. sometimes not... or does it exist in half collapse half wave function state.. are you referring to the former or latter phenomenon in your partial collapse idea?

Varon said:
What? You said yes in the other thread. I've seen the book pages you mentioned. Anyway. Let's take a simpler example. One electron at a time double slit experiment. Either the electron position becomes known or not. How can there be partial collapse in this one single electron double slit setup?

If you think a partial collapse occurs because you haven't measured all observables a quantum system has, then that is incorrect. That was what I was trying to say in my earlier post - apologises if I wasn't clear.

I guess it is about us having probablistic knowledge of a particle going through either slit that is the cause of partial collapse.

These links may be of use to you:

1. http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=3220
2. http://www.ee.ucr.edu/~korotkov/presentations/10-UCR.pdf

Now I am confused,can someone enlighten us as about partial collapse scenario, whether having not defined a position of a particle leads to a partial collapse?

I was under the impression that the moment we define a particles wavefunction probability,we have chipped in our measurement which leads to an outcome of particle pattern on the screen.

Regards,
ibysaiyan

StevieTNZ said:
If you think a partial collapse occurs because you haven't measured all observables a quantum system has, then that is incorrect. That was what I was trying to say in my earlier post - apologises if I wasn't clear.

I guess it is about us having probablistic knowledge of a particle going through either slit that is the cause of partial collapse.

These links may be of use to you:

1. http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=3220
2. http://www.ee.ucr.edu/~korotkov/presentations/10-UCR.pdf

Really? What year do you think is this realized that the quantum system can somehow read our mind and intention? I thought plain measurement is enough to collapse it.

Bohr original proclamation is that in the absence of measurement to determine its position, the electron has no position.

So right now with the updated view. It should be:

In the absence of knowledge of the observer of the position, the particle has no position.

??

At the end of one of the website you shared. It is written:

"Because theorists had believed since 1926 that a measurement of a quantum particle inevitably forced a collapse, it was said that in a way, measurements created reality as we understand it. Katz, however, says being able to reverse the collapse "tells us that we really can't assume that measurements create reality because it is possible to erase the effects of a measurement and start again."

What is he saying.. so if measurements don't create reality. It is our knowledge that create reality? But inside a neutron stars.. there are no humans.. how can the neutron star core exist since there is a lack of knowledge inside it? Maybe the particles can have knowledge of one another? But how could particles have knowledge? It's not even alive?

Varon said:
Really? What year do you think is this realized that the quantum system can somehow read our mind and intention? I thought plain measurement is enough to collapse it.

Bohr original proclamation is that in the absence of measurement to determine its position, the electron has no position.

So right now with the updated view. It should be:

In the absence of knowledge of the observer of the position, the particle has no position.

??

I personally don't believe it is the measuring device that causes the collapse of the wave function.

"Because theorists had believed since 1926 that a measurement of a quantum particle inevitably forced a collapse, it was said that in a way, measurements created reality as we understand it. Katz, however, says being able to reverse the collapse "tells us that we really can't assume that measurements create reality because it is possible to erase the effects of a measurement and start again."

I actually think it's not a complete collapse that has been caused in this scenerio. The author makes it seem like a complete collapse did occur, but really only a partial collapse occured. However, it is possible to erase the effects of measurement, e.g. quantum eraser experiments. Again, I have my own views on these experiments and what they mean.

I would say entanglement has something to do with the fact that inside the star is real, because another quantum system exists in a definite state. Entanglement appears even if quantum systems have never interacted. Assuming the universal validity of QM, everything is entangled. If you see a quantum system in a definite state on earth, everything else (because its entangled and would have collapsed upon measurement of either the system on earth, or another system) would be expected to also be in a definite state.

That's my take on these things. Whether I'm correct or not is another debate.

Varon said:

Collapse can be partial. For example, you could have entangled photon pairs which are NOT polarization entangled but ARE momentum entangled, wavelength entangled, etc. It is a little hard to see in this reference, but look at (15) and (16). These are entangled bases. This is typical of Type I PDC with a single crystal.

http://people.whitman.edu/~beckmk/QM/grangier/Thorn_ajp.pdf

Essentially, you know the polarization coming out because a single crystal only passes one input polarization.

Also, it is possible to make weak measurements in which the wave function is only partially collapsed in a specific basis.

Please be cautious with this, as this is some pretty difficult stuff to follow.

Related to Is partial collapse possible in quantum mechanics? Can you provide an example?

1. What is partial collapse?

Partial collapse refers to a situation where a structure or system experiences a failure or damage in some parts, while the rest of the structure remains intact and functional. It is a type of collapse that does not result in a complete destruction of the structure.

2. How does partial collapse occur?

Partial collapse can occur due to a variety of reasons, including structural defects, overloading, natural disasters, or human error. It can also occur gradually over time due to wear and tear or lack of maintenance.

3. Can a partially collapsed structure be repaired?

In most cases, a partially collapsed structure can be repaired. However, the extent of the damage and the cause of the collapse will determine the feasibility of repairing the structure. Proper assessment and repairs by qualified professionals are necessary to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.

4. How can partial collapse be prevented?

Preventing partial collapse involves regular inspections and maintenance of structures, identifying and addressing any structural defects or weaknesses, and following proper construction and safety guidelines. Proper training and adherence to safety protocols can also help prevent human error that may lead to partial collapse.

5. What are the potential risks of partial collapse?

Partial collapse can pose significant risks to the safety of individuals and surrounding structures. It can also result in financial losses and disruptions to daily activities. In some cases, partial collapse can lead to a complete collapse if not properly addressed. Therefore, it is essential to take preventive measures and address partial collapse promptly.