Does pushing down on a book increase the Normal force?

In summary, the normal force is the repulsion of atoms between two objects in contact and is caused by electrostatic forces. It is dependent on gravity, theta, and any applied forces, but can also be affected by other factors such as breaking of bonds. In some cases, applying a downward force may not necessarily increase the normal force, as it depends on the specific situation. A free body diagram can help visualize and understand the relationship between normal force and other forces.
toboldlygo
So, I know that there is a Normal force exerted on the book by the table, and, according to Newton's Third Law, the book exerts a force onto the table. However, I have two questions: if I were to push down on the book, would that Normal force increase? What "creates" the Normal force? Is it the weight of the book pushing down on the table, or something else? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the math and see for yourself. ;) Do a case without pushing it down. Draw a free body diagram, sum the forces and see what the normal force is. Do the same exercise with an extra force pushing it down. I suspect you already know the answer.

The normal force is usually the repulsion of atoms from each other do to their charges. It is a coulomb force. Recall how the formula works, the closer together the stronger the force. If the book is heavier then it will push the charges closer together resulting in a stronger repulsive force.

Likes toboldlygo
ModusPwnd said:
Do the math and see for yourself. ;) Do a case without pushing it down. Draw a free body diagram, sum the forces and see what the normal force is. Do the same exercise with an extra force pushing it down. I suspect you already know the answer.

The normal force is usually the repulsion of atoms from each other do to their charges. It is a coulomb force. Recall how the formula works, the closer together the stronger the force. If the book is heavier then it will push the charges closer together resulting in a stronger repulsive force.

I'm thinking the Normal force has to increase to balance out the applied force, but I think I'm mostly confused about what exactly the Normal force is. I know that it's mgsin/cos(θ) (depending on which way the object is oriented and all that), but I also know that it's a reaction force from the contact surface. The internet (and my prof) is mostly saying, "It's the force perpendicular to the contact surface," which is great, but that doesn't really help me intuitively grasp what it actually represents. Thanks for clearing up where the Normal force originates!

However, another question: assuming there's static friction (this hypothetical book is now on an incline), would applying a force directly down on the book (assuming it's still at rest) increase the static friction because the Normal force increases? Or am I misusing the relationship between static friction and Normal force?

Last edited:
toboldlygo said:
I'm thinking the Normal force has to increase to balance out the applied force, but I think I'm mostly confused about what exactly the Normal force is. I know that it's mgsin(θ), but I also know that it's a reaction force from the contact surface. The internet (and my prof) is mostly saying, "It's the force perpendicular to the contact surface," which is great, but that doesn't really help me intuitively grasp what it actually represents. Thanks for clearing up where the Normal force originates!

However, another question: assuming there's static friction (this hypothetical book is now on an incline), would applying a force directly down on the book (assuming it's still at rest) increase the static friction because the Normal force increases? Or am I misusing the relationship between static friction and Normal force?
Correct. The normal force does increase due to Newton's third law.
The normal force (at the most fundamental level) is caused by electrostatic repulsion between the atoms in the table and the atoms in the book. The reason why you can't pass your hand through the book is becuase of this repulsion.
Pushing down harder on the book will increase the static friction. Its probably poor wording to say that static friction is increasing because the normal force is increasing, but rather its increasing because the downward force is increasing(even though its true). It is true that [itex]f_{static}=\mu F_n[/itex] but then ask your self what [itex]F_n[/itex] is: its [itex]mgcos(\theta)[/itex].

Likes toboldlygo
DeldotB said:
Pushing down harder on the book will increase the static friction. Its probably poor wording to say that static friction is increasing because the normal force is increasing, but rather its increasing because the downward force is increasing(even though its true). It is true that f_static=μFn but then ask your self what Fn is: its mgcos(θ).

So normal force is mathematically dependent on gravity, theta, and an applied force, assuming there are no other forces acting on an object. Correct? And are there any situations in which I apply a downward force to an object and the normal force doesn't increase?

toboldlygo said:
So normal force is mathematically dependent on gravity, theta, and an applied force, assuming there are no other forces acting on an object. Correct?
Well, say I pushed the book against the wall. Is the normal force dependent on gravity then?

DeldotB said:
Well, say I pushed the book against the wall. Is the normal force dependent on gravity then?

No; it'd just depend on on the applied force, right? So the rule of thumb for normal force is just, "Well, it depends." I guess I'm not going to be able to get out of drawing a free body diagram haha

toboldlygo said:
And are there any situations in which I apply a downward force to an object and the normal force doesn't increase?

Sure, what if you push so hard you break the desk? Now the normal force disappears and when you draw your free body diagram and sum the forces you will find the acceleration is non-zero. You have pushed the charges so close together that they in turn push on the charges next to them so hard that the bonds between them break and the desk breaks.

1. What is the normal force?

The normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is placed on it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and is equal in magnitude to the force that the object exerts on the surface.

2. What happens when you push down on a book?

When you push down on a book, you are applying an external force on the book. This force is then transmitted through the book to the surface below it. The surface then exerts an equal and opposite force, known as the normal force, on the book.

3. Does pushing down on a book increase the normal force?

Yes, pushing down on a book will increase the normal force. This is because the normal force is directly proportional to the external force applied on the book. The greater the external force, the greater the normal force.

4. What factors can affect the normal force?

The normal force can be affected by the weight of the object, the angle at which the object is placed on the surface, and any additional external forces applied on the object.

5. Why is the normal force important?

The normal force is important because it helps an object to stay in place on a surface. Without the normal force, the object would simply slide or fall through the surface. It also plays a crucial role in determining the amount of friction between the object and the surface.