Does Quantum Entanglement Violate Causality?

In summary, the conversation is about quantum entanglement and its potential for sending signals and violating causality. The participants discuss the concept and limitations of quantum entanglement and conclude that it cannot be used to send information. They also discuss the role of measurement in determining the state of entangled particles and how it can lead to misconceptions about sending information. The conversation ends with one participant realizing their mistake in thinking about the issue.
IvanTheTerrible
Hi everyone, I'm new here and i have to say this place is awesome! I will definatly be poking around here :biggrin:

something that has bugged me ever since i thought about it. Does quantum entanglment (when used to send a signal) violate causality?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not according to any data yet received. The crux of the matter is your parenthetical statement "(when used to send a signal)". According to all current theories and observations, it can't be used to send a signal.

it can't? if one atom is entangled with another and the quantum state is used as an on/off indicator isn't that 1 bit of information?

Think about it some more. The outcome of the quantum measurement will be a purely random number. It's not until you compare this random number to another random number that you notice there is a correlation. Measuring the random state of a particle doesn't send any information, any more than tossing a coin and noticing that it comes up heads (50% of the time) or tails (the other 50%) does. To send some information, you need to control what the receiver reciieves. But the receiver receives an apparently random number. It's not until you compare notes, by sending classical information about the state you measured, that anything at all weird happens.

but wouldn't that make the problem of sending information a technological restraint? If you could control the quantum state of one atom you could then use it to send information. So I'm assuming controlling the quantum state of an atom is impossible?

IvanTheTerrible said:
but wouldn't that make the problem of sending information a technological restraint? If you could control the quantum state of one atom you could then use it to send information. So I'm assuming controlling the quantum state of an atom is impossible?

No, Think of it this way. The state of any two entangled particles are indeterminate until one or the other is measured. Once this measurement is made both particles take on opposite states. In order for the "receiver" to know whether a "message" has been sent he must measure the state of the the particle. At this point he has no way of knowing of whether he is measuring a state caused by measurement at the "transmitting" end or whether he himself, in making the measurement, initiated the process.

*smacks forehead*
doh! i should have thought of that

Related to Does Quantum Entanglement Violate Causality?

1. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a quantum phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How does entanglement violate causality?

Entanglement violates causality because the state of one particle can be affected by measurements or observations made on the other particle, even if the two particles are separated by a large distance. This appears to contradict the principle that an effect cannot occur before its cause.

3. Can entanglement be used for faster-than-light communication?

No, entanglement cannot be used for faster-than-light communication. While the state of one particle may seem to be affected instantaneously by the state of the other, it is not possible to control or manipulate this effect to send information or messages at a faster-than-light speed.

4. How is entanglement relevant to quantum computing?

Entanglement is a crucial aspect of quantum computing, as it allows for the processing of information in a highly parallel and efficient manner. By utilizing entangled particles, quantum computers can perform certain calculations and operations much faster than classical computers.

5. What are some potential applications of entanglement and causality?

Some potential applications of entanglement and causality include quantum communication, quantum cryptography, and quantum teleportation. These technologies could potentially revolutionize the way we communicate and protect sensitive information.