Does slimy spit have a spring constant?

In summary, the speaker observed a fascinating occurrence with slimy spit where it formed a long connected line and then broke off, causing the part connected to the mouth to jump up like a stretched spring. They wonder if this can be explained by elementary fluid mechanics, specifically surface tension and viscoelasticity in non-Newtonian fluids. It is revealed that mucus and spit are indeed viscoelastic and exhibit recoil.
bobby2k
Hello

WARNING: Some people may find this post a little gross.

I observed something today that I didn't know could happen in fluids, only in solids. I let some slimy spit out from my mouth. It became a longer and longer connected line, and then the bottom broke off. What was interesting was what happened with the part connected to my mouth. It kind of jumped up again, like a spring that had been stretched. I've never thought about this before. Does slimy fluidshave some kind of spring constant?, can this be explained with elementary fluidmechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
A.T. said:
It could be surface tension and/or viscoelasticity exhibited by non-Newtonian fluids:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Newtonian_fluid
Yes. Mucus and spit are viscoelastic, and exhibit, among other things, the phenomenon of recoil.

1. What is a spring constant?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring, representing the force required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance.

2. Does slimy spit have a spring constant?

Yes, slimy spit does have a spring constant, as it is a physical substance with properties that can be measured and quantified.

3. How is the spring constant of slimy spit determined?

The spring constant of slimy spit can be determined through experiments that involve stretching or compressing the substance and measuring the force required to do so.

4. What factors can affect the spring constant of slimy spit?

The spring constant of slimy spit can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pH levels, and the composition of the spit itself.

5. Why is it important to know the spring constant of slimy spit?

Understanding the spring constant of slimy spit can provide insights into the physical properties and behaviors of the substance, which can have implications in various fields such as medicine, materials science, and biology.